• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

air source for tools

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I want to be able to inflate tires/run air tools off the deuce air system. What size are the threads on the fitting under the glove box? (I want to add a quick connect fitting) anybody running a regulator? filter?

rizzo

get a glad hand and hook it to your hose and the trailer connector on the back of the truck. This is a universal way. Alot of trucksrs do it this way and it will work with your buddys truck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To answer the question specifically, 1/4 NPT. The glad hand way has a little more CFM but I tend to use the quick disconnect as it's always in place and centrally mounted. I was forced into this when the tractor protection valve failed on the tractor netting me with 0 air at the gladhand. Find it a little more convenient now.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me add this. The air supply on a deuce is marginal at best. A quick bandaid is to add an air pig to the mix. Get the largest air storage tank you can. The ones for carrying air, most dept stores carry a variation. Make sure its empty and remove the valve and add a tee or cross. Run your airline to this tank and your tools off this tank. Makes a huge difference.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I mounted a guick-disconnect onto a glad hand. I can use that on any of my trucks with air, and use any of my usual hoses. I generally just use it for tire inflation, but I don't think a regulator is necessary if the air system is working properly, because the air pressure should already be about right for air tools.

Some of my 2.5-ton and 5-ton trucks have had a quick disconnect under the dash and some haven't, and I'm not sure they were all the same style anyway, so I just use my glad hand adapter.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With all that's been said, I have to disagree.

When I purchased mine, it already had a 1/4 NPT inline of the rear glad hand on the right. MY air system does 120 psi and I've been able to use a glad hand air hose/gauge that is made for this type of work and have aired my Super Single Michelin XDY-2's up to 90 PSI with zero problems.

Here a pix of my setup as I got the truck. I can use the glad hand AND the 1/4 NPT at the same time, though you can drain the tanks fairly quickly if you are not paying attention. I am going to mount a second set of tanks eventually.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, it will air it up for sure Jim, no problem. The pressure isn't much of a problem its the small volume of air. You really notice that with air tools. Other than that, the whole system is great. I view my trucks as portable compresors and they get used for just that, often.
Hey NF6X from Riverside CA, is this none other than Mark Blair? I'm thinking it is and welcome to Steel Soldiers brother.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just for clarification. When I changed over to Super Singles, my 24v impact died immediately due to needing the brushes changed, which has occured now.

BUT I used the trucks air system to power the air/hydraulic 20 ton jack and my 1/2" air impact gun. We flipped all four hubs on the rear using this set up.

I changed the two front tires out several days later after I had changed the brushes in my 24v impact. That way I know it works. And I only used the air from the truck for the 20 ton jack. That and the air hose to inflate the tires to proper pressure.

I concur that in my truck at least, I use the air system quite a bit.

jim

eddiec

i have used my duece to change the tires on it, and found that the glad hand was the best option for running the 3/4 inch impact, bumped up the idol to 1000, but did not have any problems. only bumped up the idol do to the quick air drain of the impact.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
quick report based on my recent experiences using my multi fuel compressor (deuce). I had trouble braking free some lugs recently using the gladhand for air, but using the fitting on the firewall spun them off, no problem. Thoughts?

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BFR said:
quick report based on my recent experiences using my multi fuel compressor (deuce). I had trouble braking free some lugs recently using the gladhand for air, but using the fitting on the firewall spun them off, no problem. Thoughts?
If I had to guess, you would have a leak in your air system. But it is ONLY a guess.

jim

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I was hoping someone would say that... I damaged a seal on the gladhand & was hoping fixing it would make a difference

Katch1

I plan on instaling a 5- gallon air tank under the bed with quick couplers so I can attach a 1/2 in. air line to run the 3/4 in. inpact, should make the big gun run up to its potential :D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Easiest thing to do is make up an air pig. Grab up a 13 gallon air tanks from the local supply house. Tee in a cross with valves and couplings. Use your air hose to supply air to this and run your air tools from it. Adds air, is transportable and you can run a 1/2" airline for the 1" impact.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks