• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Airdropping the deuce (and 5-ton)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you know that the deuce and the 5-ton trucks can be rigged for airdrop?
A couple of images from FM 10-520 (2-1/2 ton) and FM 10-526 (5-ton) manuals.
There are some modifications required, such as installing lifting shackels through the bed. If your vehicle has these mysterious holes in the bed, this is why.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are the holes in the bed. They show it for the M342A2 dump truck also, so I guess the holes will have to be welded closed before the truck is used...

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That explaines the holes in the bed alright. i guess my truck has seen some air time.

Dieselsmoke

Interesting find Bjorn! I had a truck once that had the holes and brackets, nobody had a clue what they were. Interesting out of all the manuals i have I've never seen that.

rdixiemiller

Air drop should be pretty easy. Hook a drogue chute to the back bumper, roll it out the back.
Do this over enemy positions. Inspect deep crater in gound.
Oh!! You want to be able to drive it later? Well, that is a tad bit harder to do.

Why would anyone be airdropping a dumptruck?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why would anybody want to drop a dump truck? That's easy! The Seabees. One of their mottos; We Build, We Fight!

Desert Rat

MAN! That last video looked very painful! Better him than me. I just about died laughing looking at the all-terrain fork truck running off after landing and breaking through the packing. Good thing nothing or nobody was in its way! That critter looked like it was having fun running independently of human control!

Loose Deuce

Ha,Ha, That was too funny. I was looking for it to start rolling when it started that turn. I saw a Deuce and a 5 ton Dump coming down on parachutes on the Military Channel I think, they just shown a few seconds of it just before they landed. They were definately air droped. :freaked:

Opie

Watched the videos last night with a former army mechanic who said of the bouncing olive drab metal, "That's why you drop the equipment FIRST!"

rmgill

That's very true Opie. It probably helps clear the DZ of some resistance. Drop a few Deuces or Palletts of gear out the back and don't deploy the chutes. I'd get off that DZ real fast. That one load that goes out the back of C-141 and has a delay on the Chute looked real bad for anyone who was around it. Lots of flying metal.

rmgill

That's very true Opie. It probably helps clear the DZ of some resistance. Drop a few Deuces or Palletts of gear out the back and don't deploy the chutes. I'd get off that DZ real fast. That one load that goes out the back of C-141 and has a delay on the Chute looked real bad for anyone who was around it. Lots of flying metal.