• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Airpak - to rebuild or not to rebuild

Indyj100

Hi all,

I began working on the brake system of my M211, the master cylinder was completely dry.
I filled the system and bled it to the best of my ability but only got a stiff petal and no brakes.
Eventually with the stiff petal I forced it the whole way to the floor and heard a clunk and the brakes started working although with a very spongey pedal.
My assumption is the piston in the airpak was stuck and broke free, does this sound right?

Now going with that assumption I removed it thinking it'd be pretty corroded inside but instead it looked fairly pristine aside from some gel like gunk on the spring side of the piston.
The seals feel fine and the main piston held my weight when I plugged the air holes. I know these specific vehicles had work done on them in the 90s and it kind of looks like it may have been rebuilt at some point.
Does it make sense to reinstall everything and try again now that it seems to be freed up? Is rebuilding worth the hassle?

The only thing I'd really want to replace at the moment is the piston itself as it is a bit marked up, but then again does it matter? The gasket seems to be the only sealing surface so does a rough piston wall matter?
pistonside1.jpg

Also, I snapped one of the 90 degree air hose fittings. Does anyone know what type it is off the top their head? If I get an answer from here it gives me less time at the hardware store and more time to remove the broken end from the air hose, that should be fun. Picture below shows which one I'm talking about.
overviewblur.jpg
(edges are a bit blurry and sorry for the workspace, it's our old batting cage)

all help is appreciated, thanks!

Indyj100

Forgot to ask the main question in the original post, is the situation I described some form of telltale issue that warrants a rebuild?
If my logic is right I'm thinking I can just throw this back together and it should work but if this is a sign of an issue then I'll rebuild.

Again, thanks for any help

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks