• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alcohol evaporator?

5tonman1971

Is the alcohol evaporator a nessacary item? Mine has lost the cap and the copper tube has been crimped and I'm assuming that is what is blowing oil on the left front of me engine the only oil leak I have. Should there be oil coming from this? And what wS it originally used for? Can I just remove this to stop the oil leak?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The plastic bottle with the copper line below the primer pump was part of the original brake system and it is the alcohol bottle. In abs upgrade trucks the air dryer replaces it. Do you have an abs light on dash? I have seen some USMC trucks out of Barstow long term storage that did not have abs.

Sometimes the bottle is left on it but no longer needed or part of the system. Mine was also left on the truck but most are removed. The tubing should be abandoned and not hooked up as I believe it went to the compressor originally.

Oil leak is not related. I would gunk / clean and try to identify the fresh oil leak. I don't think the 2 are related.

Same question I asked last year: :)
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...his-bottle-on-a-M923&highlight=alcohol+bottle

Last edited:

5tonman1971

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

There re is also oil in the plastic container that is why I suspect that this is where the oil is coming from

Last edited:

5tonman1971

Oil coming from alcohol evaporator?

Ok guys now I'm confused the other day I noticed oil on my steering gear box and it seems to becoming from my alcohol evap. There is oil in the canister and all below it. But if this is for the air lines why is there oil coming out of it?

here are some pictures to help explain

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, I am not familiar with your truck-m813. I have only worked and looked extensively at the m939 series. It sure does look like the alcohol evaporator and it does tie into the air comp.

Can the oil be leaking from your power steering lines? How is your power stg oil level? Ones is pressure and the other one is a return but they can make quite a mess.

Triple C

Not familiar with your truck but you may have some oil leaking through the seals on the compressor and getting into your air system. If that is the case, you could have a problem with your brakes. Years ago, I blew a seal on my accessory drive (that ran the compressor on my Freightliner) and got oil in my air system, that's why I suggested it. Again, not familiar with your motor or truck but if you have a bearing going out in your compressor, it could go south quickly - don't mean to cry wolf here, just don't want to see you have to do more work than necessary if that is the problem. Good luck, keep us posted.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks