• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ALERT - Pickup at Redstone / Huntsville GL Sale NO FILTERS

Amxhunter

To the Point: Truck had NO Secondary or FINAL Fuel filters in the cans.

I have not checked Primary yet- Scared too.

More: Picked the truck up late August, Most of the trucks appeared to be from the local area.
Mine is from 279 Signal Battalion Huntsville.

I would like to thank the local Maintainence Facility for doing such a CRAPPY JOB and careless attitude. This had to have been a Depot decision and just SUCKS !

Truck Appeared to be in good condition other than dead Batteries. I actually drove it straight home , 20 miles. Slowly.

Did a once over after getting it home, then drove it 40 miles the next weekend.

During the once over, noted the tire pressures. 50 in the front , OK

Less than 25 in 6 of the 8 rear tires. Hmmm.

So this week end I get going on familiarization with the truck.

1. Turn Signals intermittent. They were working the other day, today they are not.

2. Lubed 1000 zerk fittings. Bet I missed one. Noted the parking brake pads are down to almost metal to metal. Drum is still slick though.

3. Noticed middle axle inner wheel has fluid traces on part of the sidewall and around the wheel hub. :( Probably a leaking Wheel cylinder

4. Same axle , outer wheel , one lugnut is crooked and only on about 3 threads. It comes Off OK. Looks like the stud may be wankered. Looks Like some IDIOT tried to put a RH Lug Nut on the LH side

5. Windshield Wipers, one works one doesn't. Drivers side works :)

6. Checked air filter , changed oil and oil filters. Old oil was black, waaaaaayyy black.

7. Replaced Batteries, only to find battery box heavily corroded. Spend half a day saving and restoring it. Box had already pin holed in places, but cleaned up ok. Rails just needed heavy brushing an neutralizer/ repaint.

8. Speedo in not working , pulled panel and disconnected , spin ferrule on back of speedo and it works. Got to go further to see whats wrong here.

9. Tach is not steady at steady hiway speed. Moves around 2 - 3 hundred.

10. And to round out 10, the right front axle boot is shredded.

Well, I GUESS we're having fun now. !!

FreightTrain

Banned
RE: ALERT - Pickup at Redstone / Huntsville GL Sale NO FIL

And that is why I always buy a full filter kit before I pick up a truck.Make sure all teh fluids are there and look useable,throw the filters in the cab and drive home.Soon as I get home change ALL fluids and filters.Axles,Transfer,Transmission,Blinker fluid,Engine,Stearing box,Coolant,check every bulb in the truck,look for any signs of leakage and if there is any tear down all 3 axles and replace the seals and boots while regreasing the bearings.Grease the 1000 Zerks.All this takes me about 3 days if I get down and dirty.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: ALERT - Pickup at Redstone / Huntsville GL Sale NO FIL

FT, are you using non-detergent or synthetic lube in your blinker box?

Is this extreme preparation, something you learned from Wreckerman?

look for any signs of leakage and if there is any tear down all 3 axles and replace the seals and boots while regreasing the bearings
Even if just the windshields are leaking? That seems excessive.

FreightTrain

Banned
Re: RE: ALERT - Pickup at Redstone / Huntsville GL Sale NO

doghead said:

Pure man made Detergent Petrol oil......Actually,Wreck tends to be under prepared.....I rather have too much junk with me than not enough.

halftrack

The NG guys shoved candy wrappers in the radiator surge tank and air cleaner when I got my M936A2 from Montgomery. I think it is a NG thing to not give a s h i t about trucks that are not yours. The national guard's attituide toward equipment and gear sucks.

jim-m35a2

doghead said:

look for any signs of leakage and if there is any tear down all 3 axles and replace the seals and boots while regreasing the bearings
Could you use WMO in your Blinker Box if you filtered it down to .000000005? Or could I use new WMO?
________
MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

jim-m35a2 said:
doghead said:

Could you use WMO in your Blinker Box if you filtered it down to .000000005? Or could I use new WMO?

Not sure about the WMO but I heard that in South America, they remove coconut oil from the surface of Brazilian women(after sunning themselves) and use that! How resourseful!

Here's how to change your blinker fluid.
http://www.geocities.com/changeyourblinkerfluid/

FreightTrain

Banned
RE: Re: RE: ALERT - Pickup at Redstone / Huntsville GL Sale

You can use new WMO but I would use some muffler bearing grease added to thicken it up a bit.Straight it will be a bit thin.

sprucemt

I have Blinker fluid here. reasonably priced at $10.00 per ounce. Muffler bearing grease is a little more expensive at $22.00 per ounce. Shipping, UPS Air is $123.97 per unit. Order only by teletype. No calls.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Don't waste your money on Mil spec muffler bearing grease(sorry Don). KY or Vaseline will lube your tailpipe just as well(old Seaman's trick).

Srjeeper

You should also take along a couple spools of pipe thread. While most are right handed, I've heard some units started installing left handed ones in the field.

CYA.... :roll:

jim-m35a2

You should also take along a couple spools of pipe thread. While most are right handed, I've heard some units started installing left handed ones in the field.

CYA....

Make sure you don't get the imported pipe thread. I bought some made in China and it is metric.

Jim
________
Yamaha pc-50 history

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks