• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

All fluid Levels

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Lubrication Order. I don't know for sure but, 5 gal oil, 5 gal coolant, and for trans+Tcase+axles close to 10gal gear oil. I'm sure someone will give you exact measurements soon, but this is close.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Lets see if I got this right,
Crancase 22qts
Transmission(with pto) 8.5 pts
Power divider(Tcase?) 3.5 qts
Differential 6qts each
Bfs (brake fluid silicone) I'd say bring a gallon, couldn't find spec.
Radiator I couldn't find
This is just what I could find, that does not mean I am correct. Your milage may vary.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The radiator is about 5 gallons and the engine about 3, for a total of about 8 gallons. When filling the radiator, open one of the pipe plugs near the thermostat on the engine side to vent air.
I use distilled water, glycol and 2 pints of additive... Do a search on this particular subject if you have any further questions, lots of hits....

FreightTrain

Banned
All gear boxes,GL-1 Rated 90W oil.Do not use GL5 unless it is yellow metal safe.Napa has GL-1 and even cost a little less than GL5.

Engine 15W40 oil

Brakes Dot 5 silly-cone(Do not buy Dot 5.1 not the same)

Coolant.6-8 gallons of 50/50 mix water coolant.Make sure the coolant is Mack rated.Do not use "Car" stuff.Buy the big rig coolant.Plus Test strips and a couple bottles of SCA/DCA Anti-cavitation junk.

FreightTrain

Banned
oh yea,You will need 2-5 gallon buckets of gear oil.....5.5gallons of 15W40,Several bottles(Think I used 4 or 5 CHA CHING!Ouch) of brake fluid(if your gonna flush it),4 gallon jugs of big rig coolant,4 gallons of distilled water and 2 bottles of DCA/SCA additive.

jasonjc

Diesel coolant has/needs diferant additive than a gas eng coolant. If you do a search it is cover real well by cranetruck and how to test the additives , a must read.

Get your self a hand pump for the 5 gal buckets of grear lube. They are like $20 and well woth it. Almost a must have. You can do it with out but you will not like it.

FreightTrain

Banned
Diesels cavitate due to high compression where the toy engines don't.The Cylinder walls actually bow out into the coolant jacket and snap back to normal size.when this happens a vaccumn bubble forms on teh outside and colapses.The sudden pressure change creates a shock wave and the coolant jackhammers it's way though the wall over time.Old IHC/Ford 7.3L IDI engines were BAD about this.most usually died at 100K but some have passed on after 20-30K and some less.

OD_Coyote

FWIW - I have read some bad things about the new CJ-4 rated low emissions diesel motor oil related excessive wear on engines with flat tappets, so you may want to use an oil additive like ZDDP+, SFR 100 or D-SOL or see if you can find the coveted CI-4 rated oil.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks