• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

All spun up.......

Srjeeper

Today 'Ms.ButterKup' got her final spin on filter upgrade with the addition of the coolant filter. Now this IS NOT A COMPARISON POST, like who's is better than who's. :deadhorse:

This is a review of what I did, what I found and how it all went.

I used all JT's adapters when I did my oil, primary and secondary fuel with Wix filters. None of the change overs took longer than 15 minutes and everything fit and worked perfectly. Also the filters are easy to come by anywhere I may find myself, should something ever develop.

For the Coolant filter I went with the NAPA 4019 base, 4070 filter and installed 1/2" ball valves in both lines. I was able to get all the fittings and hose at NAPA, but went to the local plumbing supply for the valves. One modification I did make to the filter base was to drill out the center (outlet) hole. I noticed it was about a 1/4" hole and thought that may be a bit to restrictive seeing as how the hose used is 5/8" and the smallest opening in the cooling system is 3/8". So I drilled it out to 5/16" which is the same size opening as is in the inlet.

By changing over all the filters to spin on's, I believe it will now take less than an hour to completely service all the engine fluids and filters. Another plus is that now the fluids are being filtered much better than with the old cartridge style.

I pulled the radiator and had it cleaned & checked while I was at it, and that turned out to be the most costly of all the upgrades.

Now 'Ms.Butterkup' is a whole lot easier to deal with. [thumbzup]

At least under the hood....:roll:

One last thing...there aren't any pictures...:p

nopics

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I agree no need to ask who makes a better product, BUT I wonder how you base the statement of "better than canister filters"? Is it because you can get different micron ratings?

Srjeeper

I wonder how you base the statement of "better than canister filters"? Is it because you can get different micron ratings?

Gimpy,
That is certainly part of my reasoning, also the fact that spin-on's are simply better by design. Every time you change one of these filters you get a completely new assembly. Not just the filtering element and then reuseing the springs and canister assemblies that have been exposed to repeated hot and cold cycles. The advances in filter technology is on going, so with spin-on's you get the benifit of these advancements at every change.

2cents

dabtl

I am on my way to WalMart for the 2.5 gallon containers of Rotella T and an oil change. A quick stop at O'Reilly Auto Parts for the spin on filters will make it simple work this weekend.

I have begun putting strong magnets on the forward oil filter to catch any metal floating around. I will check it out, hopefully, this weekend to see if it works.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Hole, I feel that both styles FILTER fine, I went with the spin on filters for the reduced oil pressure time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks