• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allen wrench size for trans fill / drain plugs???

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine are 1/2 in. square drive. The plugs are 3/4 pipe, most likely 1/2 or 5/8 allen.

houdel

Re: RE: Allen wrench size for trans fill / drain plugs???

westfolk said:
All the plugs are the same.....axles, T-case, tranny.
Not true. Most of the axles, T-case and trannys use drain plugs with a 1/2" square recess and can be removed/replaced with a 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar. However, the English built trannys use a different drain plug which requires a hex allen wrench to service. It is possible, though I have never heard it mentioned, that some of the other components used the hex drain plug, either by design or mixup during field servicing.

Note the hex tranny drain plug at the extreme bottom of the attached picture, partially obscured by the "06" of the date stamp and the SS watermark.

Attachments

acetomatoco

RE: Re: RE: Allen wrench size for trans fill / drain plugs??

Every small tool box should have the two aforementioned items as standard equipment if you have any inclination at all of working on large trucks...Of course you checked all the fluid levels before you drove the said truck home from the DRMO or after it was delivered to your home base and before driving or starting... A piece of hardened 1/2 bar stock was part of the biil with most small equipment in the Korean war era so you could use the issue adjustable aka crescent wrench to remove the plugs.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the hex plugs are 9/16".

houdel

Re: RE: Re: RE: Allen wrench size for trans fill / drain plu

westfolk said:
Thanks Lee for the correction.
It is apparently unique to the Spicer-Wolverhampton tranny. The Brits just can't be happy with a Yank design, they just have to change SOMETHING!

acetomatoco

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Allen wrench size for trans fill / drain

I have been known to use a pipe wrench on the OD of the plug where a bit of it (sometimes)extends from the hole in an emergency...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Allen wrench size for trans fill / drain

For the 9/16" hex drive plug, Vice-grips clamped on the threaded section of a 3/8" bolt will work(use the hex head of the bolt in the plug)(or double nut the bolt). Or for less than the cost of a good 9/16" allen wrench, buy a 3/8" all-thread rod coupler and use it with a wrench or socket .Or just face the fact that BIG trucks need BIG tools and buy some.(takes very little to justify having more tools in my book).