• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Almost new Deuce owner

NorthPatrol

As I was lurking around enjoying all of the information this site has to offer I thought I would introduce myself. To start off I was told about this site by a very good friend that swears by it and I can see why. We both just recently aquired 2 Dueces each from GL. His EUC has been approved and I'm still waiting. :roll:

As for my background I spent a few enlistments in the Army and part of that as a 63B Lightwheeled Vehicle Mechanic. However, not enjoying being a parts changer I reclassed into a different MOS. I'm a diesel fanatic and love my old diesels and also enjoy brewing my own biodiesel. Now, all of these years later, I realized how little I know or remember about MV's so this site is a true blessing.

I will be posting pics and asking questions as soon as I have them home. And before anyone asks I'm having them hauled home because I want to check everything thoroughly before going on a road trip.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Almost new Duece owner

Welcome!

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome! Lots of good guys here willing to share info and even "never again" mistakes. I can relate to how fast the knowledge seems to soak away after seemingly too short a time!
Regards Marti

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Deuce #2

Welcome aboard from Sunny S Fla and thanks for your service to this great nation.

FreightTrain

Banned
RE: Deuce #2

hmmm,both turbos....one winch....winch truck was a supply truck so it should be well kept up.Heater on the non winch truck.wonder if the non winch is airshift or sprag...a lot of sprag trucks with old style headlights comming out.

NorthPatrol

Oh man, I just got my paid in full invoice today and get to schedule my pickup date. Huah! Now the new problem is the winch truck is to tall to haul so I might have to drive them both home. My wife said she wants to drive one. :shock:

However, this is the same woman that just baught herself a new Springfield 1911. You've got to love a woman that loves guns and big trucks!

NorthPatrol

Well today I stopped and checked on my 2 new Deuce's. The GL guy at the Airbase is a real good guy. I told him that I wanted to check them all out to see if I could drive them or if they needed hauled. He was great and very helpfull. Anyone that deals with Dennis at the Minot AFB will walk away happy.

As for the trucks I stopped at the Motorpool of the unit they came from. I was very lucky to speak with Top who told me about the trucks. As per Top they had just sent some of them off to get the engines rebuilt. As he put it they were "upgraded" with HD parts and a larger turbo. He also said that they had personally driven the trucks to the DRMO so they were all current on maintainace and service.

When I got to the lot and checked them out, I could not find anything wrong on the visusal inspection so it was time to start throwing switches. I was pleasantly suprised when they both had full batteries and after a couple of test cranks with the engine stop out I decided to bring them to life. The first fired up in about 3 seconds and idled smooth with a crisp throttle (one of the rebuilt's). I left it idle when I went and checked out the second. It took a little longer to start and I had to hit the manifold heater. It fired after about 2 seconds of the heater. The idle on it was a little slower to smooth out but it did. I did notice that the line for the manifold heater was leaking so I'll need to fix that before the drive.

My wife has now decided that she needs to drive one for the 80 mile trip home. Did I mention that one has new tires and both have over a half tank of fresh fuel! :D
I'll update tommorow when we get home with some more pics.

NorthPatrol

emmado22 said:
You should ask Top if he still has the service records for them......... And take him to lunch if he does!
Trust me that was one of my first questions. He said that the vehicle folders and all of the records were placed in the vehicles when they were driven to DRMO. I asked Dennis from GL at the site and he said he did not see them but would look.

I think someone in the DRMO office might have put them in the round file.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NORTHPATROL: It sounds like you've got yourself a couple of good trucks. Great to see your wife getting into the hobby. My wife has driven trucks for me from NC to MD on a couple of occasions (I was in another truck). While she does not do it often, she does like to drive them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks