• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Almost ready....

Croatan_Kid

After months of parts hunting, learning experiences, and lots of money well spent, I will finally be swapping my very stout 700R4 into my M1008. Hopefully I will have enough time to stop and take pictures here and there or at least get my help to do that for me :D

I'll keep yall updated. Tuesday is when this is gunna happen, maybe part of Wednesday, depending on how good I am.

ready?

I thought i was ready too...guess what?

we should place bets...i predict 5 days to completion and 8 part runs.
i hope you thought of the shift linkage...

good luck on the swap. :popcorn:

Croatan_Kid

Well....guess what!

No runs to the parts store, I remembered all of my parts, and everything worked out just fine! So HA! I started at 9 a.m. yesterday morning and closed up shop and went to eat at 7 p.m. I wasn't trying to set a speed record and I didn't stop to eat all day.

I did have to "massage" some things. Wound up cutting a lip offa the transmission case so my dipstick would fit, had to bend the dipstick up a little bit, and the transmissions cooler lines were kind of a pain to bend up to the 700 because they're higher than a 400. Other than that, it was pretty simple.

I still have to wire up the torque converter lockup, adjust to TV cable some more, and eventually put a cooler on it.

Pics will come later, after I put them on photobucket.

AJMBLAZER

Woot!

Driven it yet?

I forget, did you put a tach in? I'm curious to see how much of a drop it gives. Heck, I don't even know what my rpm's are.

Croatan_Kid

Oh yeah, I've driven it. I had to drive it home with more slack than I needed in the TC cable, then I had to go get some cable stops from the parts house and I adjusted it some more this morning. It's about right, now I just gotta figure out why my TC aint locking up like it's supposed to.

Before the OD and figuring that my tires were 38.5 inches tall:

At 55 MPH, which was the fastest I ever drove, I was turning just under 2200 RPM. Now with a 30% OD gear at 55 MPH I would be turning a lowly 1540 RPM. Of course, now that I had OD I run about 65 MPH, at which I'm turning 1810 RPM.

Can't get much better than that!

Croatan_Kid

No way man! It's rock solid in OD. It feels like it's got way more torque when I'm cruising. I try to pull in down in manual 3rd and not let it shift into OD until 50-55. I'm also not sure if my TC is locking up like it's supposed to. Other than that, everything is great! The aluminum pan I put on it sure does throw out some heat!

AJMBLAZER

Since I'll probably stick with my 208 (unless I happen across a '89 NV241) I'm going to change the speedo gears in mine, hopefully soon.

Got a thread saved over on CK5 about doing the swap. Just need to actually start looking at doing it. Mine indicates 45 when I'm actually doing 55.

Croatan_Kid

Same here, that's why I kept the ones I had so it was still the same amount off.

It's real easy to swap them over. There's only 4 bolts that hold the tail shaft to the transfer case, slide the gear off, put the new one on, put the t-case pump back in the alignment holes and put on some ultra black RTV.

It's that simple!

(IIRC, there was a guy over on CarolinaK5 or WheelinDixie that had an '89 mech speedo 241 for sale not too long ago. Might wanna check that out!)

AJMBLAZER

No I don't. Got money with a good purpose for it that isn't truck related, no space, and the intention to sell my house and move...so yeah...i don't need it...now...

Croatan_Kid

Gotcha.

Welp, last night about 30 miles from home it lost OD, then once I slowed down in the parking lot of where I was going, it wouldn't shift outta first. I got there at about 8p.m. and didn't make it home until midnight.....on a rollback. :cry:

arrg!

Man...that blows.i hate to say it,but...welcome to 700r land.

but you know what?when i got my 4l80 to work and went for a test run,i didn't realize that i had a blocked cooler line...melted the o/d planetarie pack.had to pull the whole thing and have it stripped down and repaired.when you mentioned that you had to bend your cooler lines,i thought of the ones i built and screwed up...and i got a mere 30 km's out of mine...live and learn.

you didn't mention you had a lift and a complete shop to use...i'm jealous.i did all my stuff on the ground behind my employers office.all i got to use was the bathroom and an extension cord.kind of threw off my estimate...until i read your post.clocks ticking :twisted:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks