• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternative to CARC?

CanonNinja

I know this has been discussed a few times here, and I'm a little lazy tonight (nursing a 2nd degree burn on my 4th bottle of IPA).. Just curious what those who have restored their trucks (DeucesWild, breenlanr, Bjorn, etc) have used or would suggest using for a repaint job.. I have a few booboos I want to get fixed in the near future, and don't know if I'm going to be able to find someone local that can deal with CARC. And unfortunately, I got a little overzealous this week with a pressure washer when washing the truck and probably exascerbated the need for new paint.

Also, anyone have any idea what the shipping weight of a front fender is? I'm debating trying to fix this one on the truck now or just bolt up new gear and go

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought the new two part water based CARC from sherwin williams industrial coatings...about $77.00 per gallon.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I know DeucesWild's truck has Gilespie 383 on it.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some Sherwin-Williams dealers will NOT sell this paint to civilians. I was able to get some, but only because I have a friend that is a military contractor...and he had to place the order. I have the water-borne CARC on my HEMTT and I can say that I like it.

red devils dude

BKubu said:
Some Sherwin-Williams dealers will NOT sell this paint to civilians. I was able to get some, but only because I have a friend that is a military contractor...and he had to place the order. I have the water-borne CARC on my HEMTT and I can say that I like it.
DOD regs prohibit civilians from buying current issue mil coatings but you can buy obsolete
one's but good luck on this most wont sale any mil coatings to civilians.

rdixiemiller

Take a paimt sample to a SW store and tell them you are painting a metal building. They have some flat letexes that are extremely durable, match well, and are incredibly flexible. This keeps the paint from wanting to crack and peel in extremely cold weather. I painted a rusty steel sign frame 14 years ago with SW A100 Flat latex, barn red. It still looks good to this day! All I did was wire brush the rusty areas, wipe with a rag, and brush on.
Latex paints have made huge strides over the years. You can put them over just about anything, and they will last years.

Bill W

I shot my Lightweight with surplus 6 year old single part CARC (686A) that I bought from Western Resourses and it was brutle to handle this stuff and single part has half the VOC's then the 2 part CARC, so I can't even imagine shooting that. My brother-in-law works for Broward County Transit and he's been shooting their buses with commercial water base Rustoleum paint for the last few years and thinks it is great stuff so I'd be game to try the SW's waterbase

rdixiemiller

When you are spraying those high viscosity waterbornes and CARC substitutes you need a pressure feed gun. A siphon gun will take forever!
Harbor Freight has a nice cheapie for less than $40, Northern Tools has one in the $60 range. Basically, you get a gun, a 2 qt paint canister, and the hoses to connect the 2. You pressurize the paint container to 15-25 PSI. That gets the paint to the gun much faster than siphon feeding with a cup gun. You then adjust the air presure to the air cap to get the atomization level you need to spray out the vehicle. If you are used to spraying automotive refinish products, you will have to learn a few things about high solids paint. It does not go glass smooth, you put it on heavy and let it flow out. Practice inside the bed area to get a feel for it before you do the cab and doors where everyone can see if you run the paint. It's not that hard, just different.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
here's a just a bit of info. on the CARC

Bill W said:
BigMike
Can you give some more info on the waterbased SW paint?
MIL-DTL-64159 Type II
Waterborne polyurethane chemical agent resistant coating
Tan 686A

From the Sherwin Williams documentation that they printed out for me...Qoute "MIL-DTL-64159 type II CARC coatings are two componet waterborne polyurethane chemical agent resistant coatings (CARC) for military equipment. They meet the performance and composition of the MIL-DTL-64159 Type II specification."

It looks to me like the real deal...so I don't know why some say you can't get it???? Don't get me wrong...am I missing something??? If so, please enlighten me.

I bought this right from Sherwin Williams Industrial coatings store in San Diego. Good thru Nov. 07' and I bought it around Dec 06'.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BIGMIKE, if you re-read my original post, you'll see that I said that "some" SW dealers will not sell CARC to civilians. If yours does...great...you are lucky! Don't mention anything and keep buying it! Guys...for the love of God...please remember your fresh air breathers. :)

N1265

I have run into this kind of proplems before at S&W stores

It seems to me that some of these sales men just dont want to go threw the hassle of a special order. as a result I no longer take the time to stop into our local store. I simply go to the store in the city that I work in.

Bill W and redxiemiller is right about the water base paints comming a long way. My M880 has been painted in Laytex from S&W for the past two years. Still looks great with no rust and I did the whole truck for under $70.00

However I will suggest that if you use laytex for a top coat not to " skimp " on the primer coat, I primed the whole truck with an industrial primer before spraying the Laytex.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks