• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator Construction

Crawdaddy

A few months ago, I realized my alternator on the deuce wasn't charging. Knowing how little the deuce relies on power, I just drove it off the batteries charging them up every couple drives. No big deal. A couple days I finally took it off the truck and opened up to find the main wire that goes to the output lug on the case arced and melted.

My grandfather looked at it and said the heatsink visible from the outside of the alternator near the center was 24 volts and he could run a jumper up to the main lug. But, this doesn't seem to make sense. Would they make an alternator with a raw, hot, heatsink where someone could accidentally drop a screwdriver and arc it out? It seems to meter out with this true as the heatsink shows continuity with the previously arced and melted wire and open circuit to other various spots on the case.

deuceaid

Banned
I have had a loose nut cause the lug to arc and melt the stud right off the back of a different alternator....the heat sink could have juice in it ( not sure about the deuce alt).

Crawdaddy

I'm not sure how the failure occurred. Perhaps the wire got bumped around in there and it made contact with the frame somewhere. My other theory is drawing too much power, but I wouldn't think the alternator would be able to supply more power than the wire inside could handle. I dunno.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks