• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator Conversion Bracket, DIY

74M35A2

In my ever long quest to get better alternators on our machines, reliably, and at a reasonable price, I have posted the correct cast alternator mounts from Cummins to utilize economical and available civilian J-180 "short" alternators. These factory brackets can add $100 to the cost of a conversion though. Many have done the conversion via adding a 2" tube spacer, and it works, but it does not really provide the lateral support that would insure a long life under heavy vibration conditions. I have found what I believe is a great alternative to buying the factory mount for $100, and that is to make the bracket below. It is simply a back-to-back conversion bracket, one side having spacing of J-180 long (stock MV 60 amp alternator), and the other side having spacing of J-180 short (commercial alternators, including Remy, Mitsubishi, Bosch, Leece Neville, Prestolite, and Chinese Delco clones), welded together. For those not wanting to spend the $100 for a new bracket, and are having a hard time finding a used one from a parts yard, this may be a viable option. I do not make these, and I will always recommend the factory bracket, but it is merely an idea I thought others may want to explore themselves. Even the LDT/S has a J-180 "short" cast factory bracket available, as that engine was used in farm tractors. Wildchild467 has that part number for any that are interested, I believe it priced out new at $180 or so.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks