• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator rebuild question?

After finding that my Gen1 alternator light and oil light stay dimly lit after turning off the ignition, I did some searching and found that the gen1 was the likely suspect. Ive decided to rebuild, and printed the directions from the TM, and ordered the parts, seems like something I could handle. I do have this silly question however. Throught the TMs they constantly call for dry cleaning solvent. What is it? What is the best solvent to use to clean my alternator? Im concerned about harming the innerwokings with something incorrect. Perhaps contact cleaner?

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, electrical contact cleaner would be fine.

Wolf.Dose

Brake cleaner also will be fine. Never use aceton or simmelar, it will eat the insulation of the wires!
However, a solution made of water and dish washing soap or washing pouder also is a nice cleaner for these contain tensides with remove grease / fat and are not harmfull for any kind of paint (the insulation of the cooper wires finally is nothing else than a special kinfd of paint).
Wolf