• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator tests

Rich Johnson

So my friend has the box of "CUCV" alternators.
I know that the drivers side #1 is chassis ground and the passenger side, #2 is floating isolated ground RIGHT?

How do I check these alternators to see if they are a #1 or #2

Rich Johnson

Uh, guys, the wiki and facts pages say that they are different.

In any case, how then do you test and alternator to see if it is indeed an isolated ground for atleast the passenger side one (hard to get).

Westech

CPL
THERE THE SAME PART NUMBER!!! BOTH ALTS ARE ISOLATED GROUNDS!!! I WROTE THE WIKI! you are able to use a regular alt on the driver side but that is not stock. Both alts that came from the military are the same part number and both isolated grounds.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the alternator you are "testing" has a Ground stud, that is a good indication that is may be an isolated ground alternator.

To test that an alternator is an Isolated ground alternator, place a lead from your ohm meter on the case(outside housing) of the alternator and place the other lead on the ground stud. If there is NO continuity, then you either have an isolated ground alternator, or a BAD alternator. To be 100% sure, you would need to look inside it and test every internal item and know what you are looking for to see that it is not grounded by the case.

Basically, if it has a ground stud and is an Delco27SI alternator, it probably is a CUCV alt and is isolated(but beware, anyone could have converted it(intentionally or not).

recap. just test for continuity between the ground stud and the case!

Last edited:

Rich Johnson

Oh ok, I got it now. Sorry for being dense.

These alternators my friend has, he says they are for CUCV, but isnt 100 percent positive.
Is there a way to like read out the ground on them to make sure they are isolated?
Other than that I can just visually match them because I didnt see any part number on them. I perfer not to do a visual verification.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, consider this, WIKIs are written by anyone with a computer.(not bustin on westy, just saying that they are not fact, they are a place for anyone to post info) I'd place a high wager that rocket scientists and brain surgeons don't use WIKIs, they use manuals!

The TM was written buy a professional and the part numbers are listed in the -p manuals(yeah, there are mistakes in the TMs too).

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They all have part numbers on them.

Clean the case near the belt tensioning bolt hole, on the outer diameter of the case. The part number and the model number and the output rating is all there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks