• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator Vs. Generator

Barrman

My Gasser has the 25 amp external regulated generator. I have no experience with the military external regulated ones, but I hate civilian external regulated ones with a passion. The regulator itself looks just like the ones used on M37's and M38A1's. Is there a reason besides "it came with it" that I should keep this and not put on a 60 amp internal regulated alternator?

Thanks.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Acetomatoco has the wiring kits to add the alt to a generator harness. Our own cranetruck who is quite the electronics guru still has the 25A generator on his truck. That tells me something.

amanco

Has any one tried or have experience with the solid state regulators that replace the mechanical ones? Would it be worth it to switch out the old one? More or less reliable? BigB had to replace a few components on the M37 I bought from him due to a faulty regulator. It smoked the coil in the distributor and a few other items.

CGarbee

I've got a solid state unit in one of my trucks, the rest have the old breadbox... Nice thing about the solid state one is that there is nothing mechanical in it to wear or get corroded, of course, you can't work on them much in the field...

Everyone that I know who has installed a solid state one has been happy, but I haven't made a survey, I've just been paying attention when somebody mentions them...

Charles Talbert at M Series Rebuild had nice things to say about the solid state units over on the G741 site a while ago when somebody asked about them...

Good luck.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
alternators are more eficient and put out more juice at lower RPMs. but unless you really need the extra power, it's not an issue.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RAM has the wiring kits for around $25. That and the cost of the alternator and you're set!