• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ammo can battery box

drdbr

Hello, I ran across a recommendation for this site when searching ideas to build a battery box out of some (or 1) ammo cans. I was wondering which forum would be best to post the question? Also just glad to have found this site for future military builds I have in mind! Thanks!

papakb

drdbr, If your looking for ideas on how to do something describe what your trying to accomplish. An ammo can battery box for a radio is quite different from one for a Mule or an Avenger HMMWV. Let us know what your thoughts are and there's a fair chance someone has already done it for you or might be looking to do the same thing. The more people you get involved thinking about it the better off the results will be.

drdbr

drdbr, If your looking for ideas on how to do something describe what your trying to accomplish. An ammo can battery box for a radio is quite different from one for a Mule or an Avenger HMMWV. Let us know what your thoughts are and there's a fair chance someone has already done it for you or might be looking to do the same thing. The more people you get involved thinking about it the better off the results will be.
Hey papakb,

Thanks for your suggestion! So what I am trying to do is make a military tribute hot rod from a 1969 mustang. I am planning on taking the car to different events (Vets day, etc) and making a 'display board' recognizing people if they donate to the project,, but primarily to list different organizations (PurpleHeartFoundation.org MissionK9rescue.org etc) and their websites (maybe have some pamphlets) for people to go and contribute. I have a few items (air speed indicator, oxygen valve handle, vintage REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT banner, munition casings, etc) that I want to incorporate into the build. Part of my plan would be to fab a battery box out of some ammo cans and put it in the trunk. Likely along with the starter solenoid, and eventually fuse panel.

I would really appreciate any ideas for the battery box and if there is anyone that can connect me with people that want to contribute anything to the project and/or people from any organization that I can list on the display board!

I did not serve in the military, but several family members have, but I want to thank you all for your service!

dr

papakb

Just as a guess I'd say that a SAW can would work well for you. They're also known as "fat 50" cans and you could probably find a battery that would fit in it well without a ton of extra space. Almost any other ammo can will be too small or too large. Make sure you grommet the cable passthroughs for safety.

Come on down to the April MVCC Plymouth meet and talk about it!

drdbr

Just as a guess I'd say that a SAW can would work well for you. They're also known as "fat 50" cans and you could probably find a battery that would fit in it well without a ton of extra space. Almost any other ammo can will be too small or too large. Make sure you grommet the cable passthroughs for safety.

Come on down to the April MVCC Plymouth meet and talk about it!
Hey papakb,

Thanks for the idea! I have a few SAW boxes, but unfortunately just not enough room to hide the battery completely. I'm thinking of just taking the aluminum box I bought and giving it an ammo can 'make over'! ODG paint, some stenciling and a few dings. Then just TIG on some handle and latch hardware from a donor can. I have been drawing up ideas of modifying a 30mm can too. If I can get something put together by April I might take you up on coming down to talk about it.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be easy they make a bigger 50 can thats 14 tall 17in long 8 1/2 in wide just get a battery no wider than 8 1/2 then mark how tall you need it to be with the lid on it and mark the side of the can and cut the bottom of the can off then cut the rest off the bottom section and either weld or L bracket or J B WELD the bottom back onto the upper can section ! If you dont have metal cutting tools you can get a metal cutting blade for a circular saw from harbour freight cheap just wear safety glasses and thick leather gloves

drdbr

It would be easy they make a bigger 50 can thats 14 tall 17in long 8 1/2 in wide just get a battery no wider than 8 1/2 then mark how tall you need it to be with the lid on it and mark the side of the can and cut the bottom of the can off then cut the rest off the bottom section and either weld or L bracket or J B WELD the bottom back onto the upper can section ! If you dont have metal cutting tools you can get a metal cutting blade for a circular saw from harbour freight cheap just wear safety glasses and thick leather gloves
cool, thanks. Good idea. I'll check it out!

papakb

Don't they make a .50 cal size can that tall already? I used to have a 1" flare can in the back of my 151 that I used to store all my radio handsets in that was about that size. 13 x 12 x 6 search for:
COUNTERMEASURES FLARE M206 AMMO CAN

Guyfang

Staff member
I saw some kind of 50 cal cans in storage, in Bayreuth, at a facility for Reutilization of ammo cans. Must have been 10-12 years ago. The facility was closed down, after the Post was given back to the German government. We were putting PE on the roof. It was 50 cal, I read it on the side of the can. But NATO markings, so not U.S. Manufactured. Cans were much higher then Normal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks