• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

amps needed to start a deuce

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Am shopping for new batteries for my deuce, and I read somewhere that 900 amps is needed to start a deuce up reliably. Am having a hard time finding batteries that can put out that much juice. Most I have seen are 675 cca, and around that. The highest I found was 750 cca.

Just confused, need to know what amperage to buy....

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, check one of the old 6TLs. There should be a sticker on each on saying how many CCAs are put out by each battery. My recommendation is to stick with that #.

MitchG

Maddawg, if I remember correctly from my searching the 6TL's were in the 800-850 range. I couldn't find anything in that range and the closest dealer wanted 200+ for 6TL's so I went with some 750cca Wally World specials. I am stiiiiillllll waiting on my SF97 so I haven't had it on the roadyet, but they seem to spin the motor really well in the trips thru the fields.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
mangus580 said:
Do a little digging... Bjorn just posted the amperage needed to start his 757.... should be about the same.
Mike is correct, the approx amperage needed is 350 amps, which gets you an engine rpm of about 200.
It will be more in the Winter time unless the engine is warmed up first.

The 6TLs have a CCA of 750 amps, which is plenty.

Bill W

Winter cranking or tired engine is where you'll need amps., My buddy in So.Fla has several DOZEN military vehicles and can't keep up with batts so he made a remote batt pack of 2, 12v garden tractor ( mower) batts run in series to a slave connector ( both batts fit in a single 12v marine batt box). He starts/runs anything from a mule to his 5 tons with this setup

ygmir

I am glad to see the starting amp info.
I have been wondering if I could directly start my deuce, in emergency, with my 28V-225 amp DC welder.....It would seem, maybe, if it was warm..........
Does this sound correct?
Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"1.21 Jigawatts ! The only thing that can produce that kind of energy is.. A bolt of lightning."

KI4GSN

Look into Optima Red top batteries too. The ones I have in my Ford diesel are 1000 CA and something like 880CCA if I recall correctly.