• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AN/TRC-75 Radio Transceiver ?

FLJunkman

Hello all.. Remember this site when i have 3 m1009's here. They are gone now.
I just picked this AN/TRC-75 radio up yesterday. New to HAM world..Just a listener so far. But the 1000 Watts drew my attention. I know nothing about this, or any Military radios. I think this can be run on 28v ..but needs another part in order to do it? What is that piece?
It seems it can be run off 115v 400hz 3 phase as well.. Another piece, I imagine...will look for that piece as well, or maybe a aftermarket.
I'm eager to to hook it up and see if it works.. If you have any guidance on that, it would be appreciated. Plus it would be fun to tinker and play with it.
Also, if you have a idea in value? As things eventually get sold when i loose interests.. or move on to better..

Here's a couple pics

Thank you
Steve

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a helluva boat anchor you have there! Those TRC-75s are not too common, and yours looks pretty complete from what I can see. Even has most of the cabling. The TRC-75 was normally mounted in the back seat area of a M-38A1 or M-151 jeep, I believe the Marines mainly used it for ground-air commo. The aircraft version of this same rig was known as the ARC-58, so your searches online should also include that phrase.

The internet is your friend, I'd normally post a link to Radio Nerds' site but they have a few pics of your radio but not manuals as of yet. Fair Radio does have printed repro manuals available here: TRC-75 stuff at Fair Radio but they are pricey. Every so often some parts and accessories hit eBay. Not a common radio, so parts and accessories are where you find them.

Good luck in your quest!

papakb

About 20 years back I bought 5 of them from Davilyn Electronics up in the San Fernando Valley. He probably had 20- of them stacked up in his yard. Mike Murphy bought all of them from me and I know that Dave Ross up in Oregon also bought a few. It was an interesting Collins Radio set that fit across the back of an M151. I'm not sure if anyone ever actually got one up and running.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked around the net and found some pics of the TRC-75 in its intended purpose, as a forward air control radio jeep. The designations for the original setup were MRC-83 (installed in a M38A1) or MRC-87 (installed in a longer wheelbase M170 ambulance jeep). Here a couple pics I snagged off the net of the jeeps with their radios installed, along with a nice writeup with lots of pics of the MRC-87 setup, here: MRC-87 Forward Air Control Radio jeep .

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks