• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AN/VDR-2 Radiac Set

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, I know this isn't something that common but I was hoping someone here would have used one before. I'm looking for information to set up for show displays and I'm not sure what type of battery this uses. From the manual it LOOKS like 3 9v batteries but I can't find anything that specifies that's what it is. I'd hate to blow out the electronics if it takes a specialized battery and not a standard EverReady.

Radiac Set AN/VDR-2

Isaac-1

I can't tell you anything specific, other than I have a different brand of survey meter of about the same vintage that uses either 6 or 8 9-volt batteries, it has been a while since I touched it. 2 of the batteries powered the display/control electronics, and the others I think were wired in series to power the detector.

Ike

Carl_in_NH

While I don't know this set specifically, given the date of manufacture I'd suspect that it runs off run of the mill 9V batteries. By the time this unit had been built, all of the really odd battery types were no longer in common useage. I suspect that if the connectors mate with standard 9V batteries, then you're all set.

Nice find, BTW.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are no "snap" connectors on the unit like a standard 9v battery, just flat contact points. I did find something that said "3 BA-3090 Dry Cell" and cross referenced that to a "PP3" battery but still nothing that identified a generic civilian type.

Like you, I'm betting it is a standard 9v but since this is a "new in the box" set I'd hate to ruin it by guessing wrong.

Carl_in_NH

9V 280 mA/hr Ni-MH rechargeable - at least that's what I find on the PP3 type. Since you've got no recharger connected to this, any 9V will work - but life will be shorter. The PP3 battery isn't expensive - a couple bucks each from Hong Kong in quantity.

Edit: looks like PP3 might be the original designation for a standard 9V battery - so ignore the Ni-MH I mentioned above. Looks more and more like a standard 9V is all you need.

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
:ditto:Yep any 3 standard buy at wally word 9V batteries will power it up. Only sees gamma and beta. Should also have cord to be able to power from 24V MV.
Here is a great PP for set up and operation, if this link does not open, Google AN/VDR-2 , about 6 down the page is [ppt]
AN/VDR-2 RADIAC SET

and open it up! It's from chem school.

Last edited:

Towerguy1

I have an AN/PDR-63 Radiac along with a civilian Ludlum 3. Lots of fun to demonstrate to people. Most are scared with low level sources like "Fiestaware" (the redish orange ones) radium dial clocks and such.

There are a few websites that are Geiger counter (Radiac) related with good info on ex-military, Civil Defence, and civilian units