• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AN/VRC12; AN/VRC-160 on FRS Freqs?

Crapgame

I seem to recall sombody posted than the AN/VRC-12 and AN/VRC-160s could be used on FRS frequencies, but would be illegal. I was hoping this would be a low-impact way of performing a radio check to make sure my system is operable.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OR, you can get a AN/PRM-34 portable tester and use it for all your VRC-12 radio series testing needs. That way, you don't have to have an FCC violation. Just a suggestion.

m38inmaine

FRS is UHF, I don't think there is a 30-76Mhz FRS band but I could be wrong. Find a ham radio operator with 6meter capabilities.

Carl_in_NH

Even if one of these radios were capable of operation on an FRS frequency, it’s not a ‘type accepted’ radio – and you would indeed be in violation of the FCC rules. Just about any frequency allocation will require that the equipment used be type accepted in the US. Of course, the government didn’t need to bother with type acceptance for military radios – since it wrote its own exception to the FCC rules.

About the only way for the average person to make use of a military rig is on Amateur bands – where there are no such type acceptance rules. Get a ham license – which is _really_ easy now – and put that radio on 51.00 MHz WBFM Simplex; that’s where you’ll find other green radios as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks