• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

And I Thought Their Cars Were Ugly...

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In fairness, the LMTV Steyr cabs are later. 1980' . Not bad and the visibility is quite ok. For military use it should have a split windshield with flat glass (for safety and ease of repair). That cab was never, ever, not in a hundred years, designed to accept any form of armour.
The Brits used that cab, too, in their ERF trucks.

The 1960 Steyr cabs..well....Google Steyr 680M3. Zero interior panelling (ok, door cards), loud as sh*t and zero creature comforts. But....full air lockers and power divider locks. Cabover cab did not tilt, but the engine sits on rails and can be pulled out in front, complete with rad (and tranny, if needed). Quite practical for its age.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In fairness, the LMTV Steyr cabs are later. 1980' . Not bad and the visibility is quite ok. For military use it should have a split windshield with flat glass (for safety and ease of repair). That cab was never, ever, not in a hundred years, designed to accept any form of armour.
The Brits used that cab, too, in their ERF trucks.

The 1960 Steyr cabs..well....Google Steyr 680M3. Zero interior panelling (ok, door cards), loud as sh*t and zero creature comforts. But....full air lockers and power divider locks. Cabover cab did not tilt, but the engine sits on rails and can be pulled out in front, complete with rad (and tranny, if needed). Quite practical for its age.
Need flat glass and a split windshield?-just get an LVAD truck

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you pull the War Pig picture from? I know that truck, it belonged to a friend of mine and he has since sold it. That picture was taken at the Museum I work at a few years ago. That was when we were in process of straightening the cab out. It was an air drop mishap!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
@WillWagner I thought I recognised that truck from on here, years ago. It is an M1090 dump truck, right? I know he had all the war pig kit and a nifty tarp to close off the cab.
That's the one! I can say, from first hand experience, they are a very complicated vehicle. Gimmie a deuce or 5t any day. Easy to work on. The War Pig was cool though!

The guy that owned it is just up the road from me. He used to have a Haflinger, a Vampire, a couple of Mogs, one was a rare diesel 3 axle and a big 15 or 1600 series and a couple of Supacats, IIRC Mk III's and a British version of the MKT kitchen trailer for one, and a set of tracks. Had a Mite too.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, found the image on the forum here. I forget the username but it is the one you're all referring to having the airdrop mishap. I just googled for LMTV war pig and it came up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks