• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anderson connector attached to heavy gauge wires passenger side seat...???

Tiwaz

I found what looks to be a "Gray" Anderson (120 or 175 A) connector tucked under the front passenger seat (but accessible only from rear passenger seat)
Anderson connector.jpg

Anderson connector closeup.jpg
so I measured if there was any voltage across the pins and I measured 24.15VDC, (no switches on) then I measured the battery voltage directly across the battery posts and it reads the same so I am assuming that this is some kind of jump start harness.

I also got myself a 24V jump starter

24V Jump Starter.jpg

and it uses the same (lower current rating) Anderson connector to dispense the power, so I thought I should build me a little "ANDERSON to ANDERSON" harness for when the battery runs down and easily jump start w/o having to remove the front passenger seat but before going ahead with this (and frying something) i'd like to get a confirmation from wanna you guys that the harness I found is exactly for this function. Is this correct....?

Thunderbirds

I found what looks to be a "Gray" Anderson (120 or 175 A) connector tucked under the front passenger seat (but accessible only from rear passenger seat)
View attachment 927196

View attachment 927197
so I measured if there was any voltage across the pins and I measured 24.15VDC, (no switches on) then I measured the battery voltage directly across the battery posts and it reads the same so I am assuming that this is some kind of jump start harness.

I also got myself a 24V jump starter

View attachment 927198

and it uses the same (lower current rating) Anderson connector to dispense the power, so I thought I should build me a little "ANDERSON to ANDERSON" harness for when the battery runs down and easily jump start w/o having to remove the front passenger seat but before going ahead with this (and frying something) i'd like to get a confirmation from wanna you guys that the harness I found is exactly for this function. Is this correct....?
That is a 24 V power connector to some accessory. I wouldn't use it for jump starting as it's not rated for that amperage. If you ever look at power wheelchairs, they have the same connectors (and yes, they are all 24 volt power chairs, industry standard). But only to supply power to run 24 volt items, not to run the cold cranking amps through...

EDIT: you could use it for charging purposes, like trickle charging.

BLK HMMWV

Powers the turret. Actually it technically is used to charge the batteries that power the turret when it is plugged into the mating connector on the turret control unit. But I'm guessing you don't have one in vehicle anymore.
Normally one wound use the single pin connector sticking out of the battery box below the front passenger seat to jump start or be jump started using a set of military style jumper cables.
Do you still have one of those in your HMMWV?
This is what a set of military jumper cables looks like.IMG_20240705_125635.jpg

Last edited:

Tiwaz

That is a 24 V power connector to some accessory. I wouldn't use it for jump starting as it's not rated for that amperage. If you ever look at power wheelchairs, they have the same connectors (and yes, they are all 24 volt power chairs, industry standard). But only to supply power to run 24 volt items, not to run the cold cranking amps through...

EDIT: you could use it for charging purposes, like trickle charging.
I sure did not think of that harness being for accessories due to the gauge of the wire (4-6 AWG) which would be a heavy overkil for just about

Thunderbirds

but the turret theory makes sense, the question remains though.... could I use that to jump start...?
Like I said, the typical wheel chair we issued to patient Veterans at the VA has two 24 volt, 400 watt drive motors and some LED lighting. Some more advanced chairs have a sit to stand feature that raises the Veteran to eye level, those electrical actuators would have anywhere from 120 to 200 watt corkscrew actuators. Most you could ever run through on a power chair at once is about 800 to 900 watts at a time. If you calculate the amperage from that you get 37.5 Amps (A=W/V or 900 watts divided by 24 volts equals 37.5 Amps). While you jump start, your cold cranking amps will easily reach over 600 Amps.

20230821_104554.png
20230821_122757.jpg

Connectors, however tight you think they fit, have some sort of microscopical gap where electricity needs to "jump air". That is where most of the heat develops, then -> melt down. Bolted and soldered connections are more conducive and have less chance of gaping or arcing.

You should try jumpstarting a 24 volt truck using these connectors, then let us know how it went. Or take others' experience for what it's worth.

Tiwaz

Make an Anderson to slave plug adapter and use the slave port that's rated for sufficient amperage...
Yeah... maybe this is the best suggestion, I just have to find a NATO SLAVE connector on eBay...? Is this what is called....? are there better options beside eBay...?

Tiwaz

I was going to suggest a "Parts Wanted" thread. But all's well, that ends well.
Thank you sir but I have realized I can make my "Jump Start" harness completely outside of the slave connector for a lot less money, unfortunately I do not have 100 spare bucks for one of those connectors.

BLK HMMWV

Thank you sir but I have realized I can make my "Jump Start" harness completely outside of the slave connector for a lot less money, unfortunately I do not have 100 spare bucks for one of those connectors.
What are you planning to jump start your 24 volt vehicle with?
Another 24 volt vehicle?
You probably need to find 2 of those connectors .

Tiwaz

I was going to suggest a "Parts Wanted" thread. But all's well, that ends well.
What are you planning to jump start your 24 volt vehicle with?
Another 24 volt vehicle?
You probably need to find 2 of those connectors .
No... I actually bought me this box:

and I had to use it already but straight to the battery terminals, it did the job.

Thunderbirds

No... I actually bought me this box:

and I had to use it already but straight to the battery terminals, it did the job.
Hmmmm, this would give me pause to think. Why did you have to use the jumper box? Are the batteries draining, or bad? Do you have a parasitic drain? Whichever it is, I would concentrate getting the issue fixed rather than spending hundreds of $$ on that pack and having to rely on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks