• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another 1088 Overland Build

ramdough

Not much for typing or still photos, but here is some video of my project. I try and update about once a week, or when there is significant progress.
I'd love any questions or ideas!

Also I'd appreciate anyone that can spare a subscription, I'm so close to my goal of 1,000!

Thank you!
Already subscribed! Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
14'6" is huge!! I'm just over 12' right now with an unloaded/unfinished habitat, might sag an inch or two once finished and with supplies on board, but will also add another 1.5" with PV's on the roof. AC will likely be courtesy of mini-split, haven't really committed to it yet though. Interior height is 6'6" and I am 6'3" for comparison. Even at that size, it's at least as spacious as the truck camper we had.

Everything is a compromise. If you need the room for your sleeping area, consider a multi-level roof with that section 12" taller than the rest and mount your AC on the lower section. You won't need all the head room through the whole habitat.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
13 foot 6 in is as tall legally as you can be on a state or federal hwy without a oversise permit every time you moved the vehicle and that still will make it so top heavy it would be like sitting on pins and needles to drive it off road .

ramdough

13 foot 6 in is as tall legally as you can be on a state or federal hwy without a oversise permit every time you moved the vehicle and that still will make it so top heavy it would be like sitting on pins and needles to drive it off road .
Nate,

I would do what you could to get at or under 13’ 6”…… you are limiting your options for road trips by going so big. Just my suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Carrier Dometic both make good low profile roofmount A/C - HEATER you could put on the cab and push through the front wall of your box and my truck is 12 foot 3 to the top of solar panels and im sure i would be more stable at 11 ft 3

TJ4man

Not much for typing or still photos, but here is some video of my project. I try and update about once a week, or when there is significant progress.
I'd love any questions or ideas!

Also I'd appreciate anyone that can spare a subscription, I'm so close to my goal of 1,000!

Thank you!
YES to all comments on 13'6" limit. I believe interstate bridges are required to be above this height, so to prevent any conflicts in routing I would definitely do whatever possible to stay below that!

Gabe.ruesswick

I'd have to check the math but I am 6' 3" and have plenty of headroom with a 3.5" thick ceiling.

I am out of town for a while but can check upon return.
thanks, I'm just trying to picture what id like my rig to look like. I'm 6' and am thinking only having 75"-76" floor to ceiling. would rather keep it low profile.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're 6' with 75-76" true interior height, you'll be fine! Just be sure you account for all your floor components' thicknesses and ceiling insulation, roof structure thickness, etc... I only have 2-3" clearance with shoes on once all that is rolled up, but it's definitely sufficient.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks