• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another 6.5 Turbo Question

LT67

I'm looking at possibly acquiring a 6.5 turbo engine from an upper 90's dually box truck. From my understanding it's the non egr L65 engine. It would go into my 86 M1008 which I drive quite often. The truck still has the 4:56 gears and I run KM2 255 85 16's. Max speed that I drive is 55mph. Any issues with running a 6.5 turbo at those speeds with the 4:56 gears?

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the box truck a "cutaway", i.e. a van that has the back cut off? Those have the rear mount turbocharger which won't fit. Otherwise no problem other than having to "de-computerize" the engine.

LT67

Is the box truck a "cutaway", i.e. a van that has the back cut off? Those have the rear mount turbocharger which won't fit. Otherwise no problem other than having to "de-computerize" the engine.
The usual center mount

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That will work. I would do everything I could to make sure the engine is a good runner before going through the work of transplanting it. Including making sure coolant doesn't disappear. My '00 6.5 TD does that. I keep having to refill it.

Skinny

Now would be a great time to sling the while thing in your truck. Why not get the 4L80 to go with it? Solve all the problems.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks