• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another deuce brake problem!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My brake lights stopped working today. The switch is still at the end of the air pak. I am having CRS real bad today, I know....no, think.... there is a MWO to move the switch, but I can't find it. Again, TMI for this stuff, i'm starting to get it confused with work! Anyone know where it might be located and who to get the parts from? I also have a NO swich for a converter lock out for an Allison trans.The stuff I used it on was 12VDC. Will it work on the 24 VDC system? It is basically just a set of contacts, right?

ah1955

Another deuce brake problem

You are right about moving the switch, I don't remember which way is which but I know it has been covered somewere??
There is also a post somewere that explained how someone mounted a lever type auto brake light switch with a bracket at the brake pedal, don't remember who(would be nice to give them there due)
Sorry not alot of help with details but might help getting you on the right track.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
RE: Another deuce brake problem

the brake light switch is just a NO pressure switch, but it is the pressure rating i would wonder about. civ switches will work just fine, but the pins are just off a little and they don't have the boot. oem mil switches are cheap, why not just get a new one??

lacoda56

If you lose air, your brakes won't work, so what's the difference at that point if your brake lights are are inoperative? It's an upgrade 'cause it's working under low pressure and less prone to failure.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I didn't check the Saturn site. I'm all over it! lacoda, the brakes still work w/o air, just not like "power" brakes...no boost. Coulda sworn it was a MWO. Thanks guys.

Boatcarpenter

The hydraulic side of the system will still work I believe, you just have to push harder on the pedal. Get in your truck and step on the brakes with no air pressure, you still have pedal and you can stop the truck from rolling.

lacoda56

Been there, done that, and the truck without air don't stop worth a da**. Try it if you don't believe me! As I said, no brake lights at that point are the least of your problems.

gbooth

Will My brakes lights quit not long after I got the truck running had power to the switch just wasn't going through replaced it with the kit from Saturn it is now on the air side it works fine I left the old one in the hole it is just acting as a plug. When I wired trailer brakes up for the truck I went down to the local TRUCK parts store bought a unisveral brake switch to power the brake controller this switch look just like the up-grade switch from Saturn, You can by one local, add a " T " fitting and it will work just like the up-grade switch, all fittings were got at the local hardware store.

Boatcarpenter

Maybe it won't stop worth a da**, but my point was that you will still have brake lights to at least indicate that you are trying to stop.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BC is correct.
Like Tom suggests, watch the pressure rating of the switch in its original application. It will normally be exposed to 1,800 to 2,000 psi and should have a rating of twice that.
I prefer the original location, just get a switch that's up to the job.

The procedure is shown in PS magazine (don't forget to do a search here when you have a question).

Attachments

m139h2otruck

Ask John Tennis what happens when the old style switch develops a leak!! Brake fluid on hot exhaust parts is not good. Needless to say, he changes all of his to the newer air style.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks