• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

another deuce in phoenix, how to get it home, been sitting..tips?

azM35a2

hey guys,
well i had to sell my last duece due to the city coming down on me (they didn't like the 14 vehicles and the large military vehicle in my driveway i guess)... ever since i moved and got a 6acre storage lot however, i've been looking to buy another duece....and i did!

bought it from the Government website...it's reportedly been sitting for 12-15 years. i'm going back monday to hopefully get it running and drive it home.

it's a '71 m35a2c wo/w, has the soft top, the drop side bed, with the troop seats and the top bows (but no canvas), it's missing the right headlight, left blinker light, and the left fender is damaged. mean't to take some photo's of it today but had to leave abruptly.

so i'm looking for some tips...should i just have it towed? (approx. $300...i really don't have the cash to spend on a tow).

or if i attempt to drive it, what should i do? the oil is "dirty" but nothing abnormal for a diesel. i was assuming i would need to bring jugs to drain the old diesel in to, 2 good battery's, jumper cables (just in case), 10 gallons of good diesel, 5 gallons of water (as i don't know what level the radiator is at), and wrenches to fit the diesel pump nuts to bleed the lines off.

i was thinking i should probably do the fuel filters...do you guys think they'd be ok to get it home? (20 miles) if i should change them, is there anywhere local in phoenix that i can get them? aswell as any o-rings or whatnot neccisary? and what would the approx. cost be? anything else i should be concerned with?

i also forgot to check the brakes...Oops!! could be a major issue.

AZDeuce

Where's it at exactly? I got a towbar, some borrowed tow lights, and a deuce in Buckeye, I'm off Mon and Tues, but I got something going early on Mon morning. Maybe after 10 or 11 AM.

Call my cell 623-302-2446

azM35a2

it's north, off i17/pinnacle peak...needs to go to 43rd avenue and lower buckeye (18.1 miles). not sure where you are in buckeye but it would be approx. 100 mile round trip drive. if thats not to excessive for you, i'd be happy to pay for fuel and lunch!

p.s. it's a bit late to call you now but i'll pm you my info. monday anytime would be fine.

AZDeuce

Lunch and fuel would be great, I'm off of I-10 and Miller Rd about 300 yards or so from the Love's Truck Stop. I get home most evenings by about 5:30 PM and I'm in bed by 9PM, any time between those hours are ok with me. Maybe give me a call Friday evening and we'll see if this is doable.

azM35a2

monday after 10-11am as you suggested would be fine with me. it's at a government facility so it has to be between 6am-5pm, would prefer to not do it at/after dusk

Heavysteven

I would not drive it off unless your 100% confident in the truck. I found all kind of issues on my truck, spring vents clogged, fuel filter with rust, loose steering bolts, overfilled oil, one flat, air regulator not working, and bad battery connections.

Glad had mine towed. I would double check everything since parts are missing and make sure it has been used as a parts truck.

Drop side sure is nice though

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
azM35a2, Just wanted to say hi and good luck on your m35 trip.
I live out in Tonopah, AZ west of Phoeinx.
I won a M35A2 the first of Nov. and I am waiting on my EUC.
Would love to help you get your Deuce but I am in TX for Thankgiving.

I have pm'ed AZDeuce a nuber of times and looking foreward to meeting him.

Good luck!!

azM35a2

well guys, it looks like AZDuece will be assisting me in towing this home with his duece. (which is Highly appreciated!)

once i get it back, before i attempt to fire it up i intend on draining the old diesel, and replacing the fuel filters.

my question...should i worry about the air filter/oil change/oil filter prior to seeing if it fires up? as said it's been sitting for 12-15 years.. my '64 lincoln had been sitting for 11 years before i got it, i sprayed some ether in it and it came to life...hoping for something similar with the duece.

Last edited:

azM35a2

m35a2c, hi to you aswell.

also whats with people talking about an "euc" i assume this is an end user certificate? why is this needed? i bought mine from a different branch than the government liquidation but, i don't have to wait for anything...just go pick it up whenever i feel like it.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
m35a2c, hi to you aswell.

also whats with people talking about an "euc" i assume this is an end user certificate? why is this needed? i bought mine from a different branch than the government liquidation but, i don't have to wait for anything...just go pick it up whenever i feel like it.

If you buy one from Gov. Liquidation you have to fill one out.
That is about all I know about it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm assuming it's a GSA purchase. You are better off with them. None of the running issues amount to a hill of beans compared to the brakes. Glad you have assistance getting it to your AO. Brakes brakes brakes, make sure they are right! As long as it's not locked up, I'd light it with whats there. I drove a truck home with 10 year old diesel fuel before, no worries. It's all much easier when the truck is already at your AO.

azM35a2

yeah GSA. i've bought some snowmobiles off of there, a couple quads and now the duece. overall very satisfied with the outcomes of the other items so i'm hoping the duece will be no different.

i would fire it on whats there but, honestly why chance it? once it's to the warehouse....theres nothing at all rushing me...so i figure may as well do the filters, fresh diesel, etc... i'm sure it'd run on whats there but my luck a filter will crumble and the motor will be eating it.

azM35a2

exactly, however i don't know how often i'll actually be driving it. AZ guys, how many miles do you put on yours a month and have any of you been pulled over?

azM35a2

a BIG thank you to AZDuece. he came as promised and we got the duece towed to it's new home (for now anyways). it was a nice, simple, easy tow thanks to him being fully prepared.

It's very appreciated! Thank you again.

now i just need to get some fuel filters...fresh diesel...and see if this pig fires up.

Attachments

AZDeuce

It was nice to meet azM35a2, he was a great guy. The tow job went smooth, but about 2 months ago I pulled a M135 up in the mountains near Page, AZ with my deuce. Those 395s killed me on the mountains I was doing 13MPH in Low Range!

But on the flats I had her up to 65 MPH! With azM35a3's truck when I got on the freeway the weight difference was apparent, we had the tranny and transfer in neutral, and the parking brake was off, but it took over 3 miles to get up to 50 MPH.

But she seemed happy at that speed so I didn't try to go any faster, but we hit 53-54 MPH when we'd go down hill. The "mission" was a success, and I finally got to help another SS member out, like I always read most of you guys doing, that felt good.

It was a good day!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks