• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Fiver headed home.

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought I posted this last night but I guess it did not go through. Another Fiver is headed to a new home. John and Adam left my place here in NJ yesterday headed to S.C.. That is one Big A** truck!

Rick

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Who is getting that thing? Adam, I hope its not you as I know you are crazy enough to try and take that out on the durhamtown trails. Let me tell you know, it won't make the turns or approach/departures.

AMGeneral

That would be John's truck(EMD567?) he has been waiting on his EUC for a while,it cleared while he was at the GA rally.

Hmmm,NJ to SC in November,in the rain no less!!

good thing it has a hardtop and heater.

Last edited:

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't heard a thing. I know they were going to stay somewhere last night and head on down the rest of the way today. It is at least a 12 hour drive in a car so figure a lot slower in a truck.

Rick

builderboy

I love the truck !!! I want one in a 900 series Hopefully the 928 so I can tell the wife ...look it has a winch ! I can use it for something usefull ! The uglier and bigger it is probley makes more friends envious of what you have !!:D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess we'll get a close up view of it at the 2011 SSGR. Any mention of bobbing it?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Guys,
John just dropped me off at the house and headed south to Aiken, SC. The heater core was rotten, so we didn't have it, and the hard top didn't have anyway to bolt it up to the windshield frame, but we used some sheet metal screws to hold it down for the most part. Still had a 1/4in gap with cold air blowing in though...

Here's some pictures. Runs pretty good after getting the 3+ year old fuel out. John had all the paperwork and PM checks in the map box. Apparently, the truck was DRMO'ed once, and the Air Force got it.

7800 miles on the clock and it acts like it too. Even before we hooked up my pickup, I started to hate the truck. If you needed a tool on the other side, you either had to pack a lunch and have a bike handy or crawl under, which was way faster!

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to hear its making the trip home safe. Too bad you can't park it in one ZIP code.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi everybody. I made it home safe- at least the cab did- The rear end towing Adam's old pickup is still in the last county I left. I have learned that an M814 with a Genrac Genny in the back, and towing a 1/2 ton Dodge, will make it from MM 8 on I95 in Virginia to Aiken SC on one very full tank + 5 gallons. From the Garmin:
Max speed= 57 MPH
Moving AVG. 47
Overall AVG. 42
Total time moving: 15 hours, 19 min
" " " " Stopped: 1 hour 37 min
Total time : 16 hours 57 min
Total distance traveled: 719 miles, Fort Dix to Aiken SC

The 814 did well, with only a few problems inroute- I snagged a low guy wire and bent one convoy light, and removed the exhaust stack off the genny(no damage). The fuel system needs some attention, and the oil pressure gauge leaked at the back of the gauge. The seats need help(2 springer seats) and thats about it. :driver: :mrgreen:

Varyag

One of those showed up at the Napavine rally here in Washington. It was night when it trundled in. Everyone thought he was pulling a trailer. Awesome truck.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bumper says ATSA...it should read ATSF. Heck it's as long as a freight train. When you make a right turn does the @$$ end swing out and pulverize small and insignificant vehicles??

Good lookin' rig there, enjoy[thumbzup]

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
John and Adam, glad to see you made it home safely. I wish we had seen the situation with the top while you were here. I had lots of bolts and caulk. Did you get the mirror fixed? I was hoping you would be able to run out the old fuel because it didn't sound like it liked the old stuff.

Rick

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turning corners with the 814 takes a little practice, and even hardened NJ drivers will give you give way to you. The 814 also does well on "circles or roundabouts" everybody clears out of your way.
I have the mark one version of Ferros(Adams) new product- Field repaired mirror Loops. I understand he will sell the kits for 20.00 plus shipping. The repair he did on the left mirror was wonderful, and has worked great so far. :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks