• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Gen1 Light Out Post

Pershing Guy

Hi Everyone, I used to drive M1008, M1009, deuce all over Germany and really like them, but I'm no expert with them and its been 15+ years.

I bought a decent M1008, but it doesn't charge the front battery, lights drain the batteries, and the Gen1 light doesn't come on at all. You've heard this problem before because I've read a bunch of threads on it, looked through the TM's and schematics, etc.

Back battery has 14.5V on it while running (good). Front battery 12V (assuming thats just battery voltage)

My Gen1 light does not come on, but the bulb is good. I've tried switching known good lights/sockets, moving it around with the key in the ignition, and I've taken the dash apart twice.

Here's my question: A while ago I took the outer instrumentation panel cover off, I took the red plastic "Gen1" light cover off (anyone know where to get these red plastic sheets btw?), and I turned the ignition on. I then measured voltage on both sides of the light socket, since I could get my pointy multimeter leads in there nicely. Both sides of the light socket had 12V on it measuring from the prong to chassis ground (steering column). I'm assuming that means my ground is not connecting somewhere in the instrumentation panel. (then I fixed the shift indicator sort of - it moves anyway)aua

#1) Does anyone know where the ground side of the Gen1 lightbulb goes? (ie, could I run it straight to ground or would that cause my truck to catch fire?)

#2) What is an exciter? Does that mean a diode gets forward biased and then charging begins? I would think the alternator would still put out 14 volts regardless of the Gen1 light, but apparently that isn't so.

#3) Could a bad alternator make the light not come on at all? (TM says to trace circuits then replace alternator) I had the alternator tested and they said it was ok (but I'm still skeptical) Just replaced the passenger side.

Thanks,
Eric

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks