• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

another GP issue

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys i serched the fourms a little bit on this but could't find anything on the frist few pages . the problem i have is this...

my glow plugs are cycleing way to fast like 2 sec after i turn the key to run

so me being lazy I replaced the glow plug card (NEW), temp sensors (NEW), and glow plugs.

but the glow plugs cycle every 2 sec after i replaced all of it.

i'm left with a few options please if anyone can help

the glow plugs where brought on eb..y the ad did't say 12v or 24 volt
could 24v plugs be bad for the system?

Asmoday

Hmmm....Mine do that as well. They cycle about 3 to 4 times and then that's it. Even when very cold outside. like when it was in the 30's a week ago here in So Cal.

My system is still completely stock but the GP relay/Voltage mod is due soon after I pick up some AC60G's. I waited till I received the JJ&A tool first just in case.

I'm in Reseda so we're neighbors. If you ever need help give a yell....:)

MuleMac01

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm....Mine do that as well. They cycle about 3 to 4 times and then that's it. Even when very cold outside. like when it was in the 30's a week ago here in So Cal.

My system is still completely stock but the GP relay/Voltage mod is due soon after I pick up some AC60G's. I waited till I received the JJ&A tool first just in case.

I'm in Reseda so we're neighbors. If you ever need help give a yell....:)

Thanks but heres the thing they used to cycle after i turned on the engine not befor they just heated up then after the wait light gos out I turn on the engine then they cycled 3 times max

Asmoday

I noticed you replaced the controller card. Did you change to a different GP relay as well? I seem to remember reading on here somewhere that the CUCV electrics Legacy card paired op with a certain eb*y sourced relay was causing something like you're describing. You'll have to search but there are some *New* Military GP relays off eb*y that were causing some problems with the Legacy card. Really fast GP cycling... I remember John from CUCV electrics talking about it....

allenhillview

My new card from cucv elec. is OK so far, paired with a trombetta relay.There are more than one trombetta that... I think is being used and works fine Part# 976-1211-010 is whats on mine, Part#974-1215-011-09 is OK also, there are even more but here is what I found lately!!! Watch real close for there are China made Trombettas out there. The two mentioned are metal cased DC contactors ,non grounded,100% continuous, also 12v, I've got both old and new cards that work well no difference in cycle time with those relays mentioned. Be aware of the plastic, China made Trombetta. one is listed 12v continuous but description states 25% intermittent then goes on to say 12vcont. These can be had for a fare price at Murcal.com in Ca. 16.00 they also have the new boots top and bottom for 3.95. Made in the USA.

Last edited:

MuleMac01

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I noticed you replaced the controller card. Did you change to a different GP relay as well? I seem to remember reading on here somewhere that the CUCV electrics Legacy card paired op with a certain eb*y sourced relay was causing something like you're describing. You'll have to search but there are some *New* Military GP relays off eb*y that were causing some problems with the Legacy card. Really fast GP cycling... I remember John from CUCV electrics talking about it....

hmmm i did get the military relay off ebay crap ...sigh.... befor i had the napa relay should i buy a new napa relay?

Asmoday

It's worth a try.

I searched and searched and could not find that post about the problem but I distinctly remember reading about it. I would email John(1stsarge) and ask him about it....

Don't feel bad...I bough 4 of those **** relays....LOL.

Oh...and the Trombetta is what's on mine right now.

Last edited:

southdave

I hooked up a push button momentary switch as, ( precatiounary) for just this reason, if the gp system takes a dump for any reason, it is my fail safe til I can get functioning the way it should.. it only cost 7 bucks for the switch about $1.50 in wire and connectors.
Note the GP cycles on and off till the engine is operating temp..2cents but you need ST85 form napa and dogheads relay installed with AC60 gp is the current state of things

MuleMac01

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hmmm replaced the relay with a new napa St-85 no dice prob stell there could it be my resistors?? gone bad? if so where can i get some used working or new??

NEWFDAD

Have you measured the voltage to the glow plugs? If the voltage rises above somthing like 15V the glow plug card will cycle the plugs on and off. If the voltage is over 12V and your plugs are new you probably have a bad resistor.

allenhillview

I don't know all there is to know but I think if your resistor isn't working you would know it soon enough , to much voltage . Check with meter at gp wire ,
+ in wire connector ....-in a good chassis ground . Turn system on at key not start just cycle,... check voltage now and it should read 12.60-12.84 at least thats my readings and I know mine is OK. Check each one the same way.

Last edited: