• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

another M1009 rebuild

Alexxm

Hi all!
i believe this is my first post, not sure. It is my first thread for sure. I am from Romania / Europe, and I’ve started the car "hobby" a couple of years ago with a 1979 Toyota FJ40 which is almost done.

End of last year i have purchased 2 M1009 vehicles.
One is beige (desert), although it was green or camouflage when in the army, and one is green or blue, but not the original color. Original, i believe it was green also.

The beige one: - bought from Germany. has a short VIN on the chassis. (Fxxxxx). It is from 1984 or 85, not sure. It ran when I’ve seen it first, but then started instantly and after 5 seconds died. Brought it home to check it and try to repair. Papers are OK, and after repair, will register it for public roads.

The blue-ish one is for spares. It is from 1986, has a full VIN. It was a donation from some US officials to the Romanian border patrol and cannot be re-registered for a private owner. It was missing the starter and front driveshaft. Don't know if it runs.

Some pics first:

DSCN4676_resize.jpgDSCN4674_resize.jpgDSCN4673.jpg

The beige one:
IMG_5951_resize.jpgIMG_5934_resize.jpgIMG_5928_resize.jpgIMG_5955_resize.jpg

the blue-ish one
IMG_5942_resize.jpgIMG_5917_resize.jpg

After getting through the winter, I've started working on the beige one. It had some rust (still has), a dented fender (left), a nasty rear tow hook, and a broken windshield. And the wrong color. Of course, first of all, it did not run. But his issue will go on the second post.

and next week i will receive my 1988 civilian Chevy Suburban Scottsdale, 6.2Diesel, 4x4.

Attachments

Alexxm

beige m1009

Ok, so from now on when i mention the m1009, i will be talking about the beige one, and the blue one will be the spare parts car.

After getting the m1009 (beige one ) in the garage we have (together with a mechanic) tried to make it run.
I've read an interesting post on possible reasons for a car to start and die after 5 seconds, or die after you take your foot of the throttle.
So, we have put a can of fuel directly to the injection pump and crank it up. same story. bled all the injectors. started fine, died after 5 sec.
So, i put a stop on the project, and ordered some stuff from eBay, amazon and Owen’s export.
Got new: HMMWV injection pump, a set of injectors, fuel filters and original filter base, plugs, belts. also got all the needed joints and bushings for steering.
After that and after reading the forum, i've ordered new return valve, fuel filter pressure sensor, the ACDelco fuel pump solenoid (for idle) and i guess I’m missing something now.
Till these parts arrive from the US, i am doing some cosmetic work.

basically, the m1009 looks like this now:

2013-02-27 20-07-39_resize.jpg2013-02-27 17-24-54_resize.jpg2013-02-27 17-22-02_resize.jpg2013-02-27 17-21-44_resize.jpg2013-02-12 15-04-57_resize.jpg2013-02-12 12-52-28_resize.jpg2013-02-27 17-22-06.jpg

Anyway, this is what i have done on the body so far: front left fender down, seats don, all the carpet and moldings inside... down, dash cover: down (needs new vinyl), tailgate down, rear bumper down, tow hook down (PITA), hard top down, gas tank down, cleaned and painted. all fuel lines cleaned and air blown. windshield down (new one already waiting at the dealer).
2013-02-27 20-09-52_resize.jpg

As you can see, i have some rust issues. German weather did not help the car.
I have ordered some bended sheet metal to take care of the rust. will be here shortly.

jw4x4

Welcome to the site! You already seem to have been bitten by the OD bug and will fit in well here. Keep up the good work and thanks for the pictures. Great to see these saved, especially in foreign countries. Must be quite rare there.

ajsmith184

Welcome to the site! My wife is Hungarian, and she has a lot of Romanian-Hungarian friends from Transylvania and Székely..if you ever need any translation help or anything of the sort let me know! Project looks great, I always wish I could take my M1009 back to Hungary and drive it around, just for looks...I am settling with the opposite and bringing a Trabant back here :)

MilChevyguy

WOW...I thought how is that beast gona be on the tight roads in Europe...but after reading the post how the the SUBURBAN gona be??!!!

When you get them lined up shoot us a nice family picture!!!

f4dzg

Buna ziua, foarte frumoasa masina, unde locutui in romania ? Eu sunt Francez si sotia mea e Brasovanca, suntem linga Helvetia, 40 kms sud de la Geneva. Si eu vreau un Chevy Blazer m1009, am avut un Dodge Ramcharger 1981, 5.2L benzina. eu cunosc foarte bine zona transylvania si orasul Brasov. Drum bun acolo ! Scuze pentru ca eu nu vorbeste romaneste foarte bine, limba roman e un pic greu...

Switching back to english now, next time i'll be in Romania if i see an M1009 on the road i'll know it's you ! Good luck with your project, i saw a lot of US cars in Romania, much more than here in the Alps and i always wonder because the guys still drive with the US license plates... I saw a few G20 chevy vans like this around Bucharest.

All the best from the Swiss border !