• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another M37 Home

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We got the latest member of the stable home last night. I bought our first M37 out of PA (pos rust bucket body) and then I find this one about 2 miles from the house.

Prior owner put a lot of money in to a 4 wheel disc brake kit, including the machining of the hubs, for his teenage son who lost interest once he had to start turning wrenches on some rusty bolts. The only thing missing is the discs and rotars. However, this is the wife's truck and she wants it stock so we'll be pulling the body off of this one and swapping it on to the frame of the other. I'll be keeping the fording kit and heater off our current truck also.

Plans right now are to start pulling one piece at a time and working it over good until all is finished and then changing bodies in one fell swoop.

Only major concerns are rust through in the battery box and front of the bed floor. Tool compartment is clean so no worries there. A couple of dents that just need a love tap or two with a BFH and the tailgate (which amazingly is rust free on the pos truck).

bubba_got_you

Not bad. I would go with disc breaks though, its not a mode you can “see” and it makes the ride so muck safer. More than once I have “skid” due to locked up breaks.
I wish I could afford the mode but its not on the Must do list so it will wait.
[FONT=&quot]I wouldn’t worry about the rust much. Just cut it out and mig in a new piece.
if ya need any parts like pistons, heads, or tranny parts give me a shout (i have some laying around after i did the 318 swap)
[/FONT]

TexAndy

Bandera County what?

Fire department?

I think it would be cool to find out what it was in it's second life and restore that paintjob/logo. Just my .02

+1 on the welder. I need some foundry tools welded up. :wink:

eta: Does it say "Precinct 1" on the inside of the logo?

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bandera County what?
I think it was actually Road Dept. During the big floods of '78? the county was "loaned" some M37s for disaster relief. They "forgot" to give them back after everything was over. Another Alamo MVPA member in Kerrville has one from the same batch.

Keith_J

A welder and a media/bead blaster. BTW, Nice catch! :grin:
He has the media blaster. I have a feeling I will be spending time helping him on this project. This is fine, as long as I don't have to paint the thing. I'm ok on touch-ups and small areas, I just don't like doing large areas.

And yes, I can weld.

pwrwagonfire

I think it was actually Road Dept. During the big floods of '78? the county was "loaned" some M37s for disaster relief. They "forgot" to give them back after everything was over. Another Alamo MVPA member in Kerrville has one from the same batch.

Thats a very cool peice of history you know about your truck!
Congradulations on the find, may it treat you well

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks