• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Member from the DFW Metroplex

dbduchene

Hello all and thanks to those providing the site. As I go into the next faze of life (retirement) I am trying to decide how to get the most out of it. I was thinking about a traditional class A diesel pusher motor home but have really become interested in building a hard core expedition rig based on a FMTV 6X6. I was looking for one of the 177 inch WB (1093, 1084,1085) but am finding that they are few and far between and costly. I am starting to think that getting a 1083 and extending the Wheel base to exactly what I want would be a better choice. Again and thanks for the add and the help that I am sure that I will get.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello all and thanks to those providing the site. As I go into the next faze of life (retirement) I am trying to decide how to get the most out of it. I was thinking about a traditional class A diesel pusher motor home but have really become interested in building a hard core expedition rig based on a FMTV 6X6. I was looking for one of the 177 inch WB (1093, 1084,1085) but am finding that they are few and far between and costly. I am starting to think that getting a 1083 and extending the Wheel base to exactly what I want would be a better choice. Again and thanks for the add and the help that I am sure that I will get.
Welcome to Steel Soldiers and Congratulations on your retirement!

There are lots of discussion threads about building a habitat on the back of a 10xx Stewart & Stevenson truck. We even have a nearly finished truck in the MVoTM (Military Truck of The Month) competition. Maybe you could cast a vote for chucky at:

As you read the thread above, he explains why he decided to create his "mini homestead". That might give you some information about what to expect as you move forward. It depends on what kind of building skills you have, but he might be able to share a few thoughts. There is a lot to consider before you buy a retired military truck. LOTS of opinions here and folks willing to share.

Get the most out of the site. Get involved and vote in the monthly competition for MV of the Month. Check out the Classifieds Section where you might find numbers and features if you buy a new to you truck. And, most of all WELCOME to the group!

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard ive spent the last 2 yrs building a 1083 so if i can help just let me know . This place is a wealth of knowledge and will become the best tool in your toolbox

Last edited:

dbduchene

Thanks. I just found the section on converting ot building based on FMTV. As to my skills I have had many jobs and hobbies as I passed through with my life. Did some racing building my own car and was the lead on building out a class 7/stadium truck. Understand gas engines and can wrench on them as I wish. Worked up through the ranks into engineering management starting as a tech and not college working in IT. My path had was in building and managing Data Centers so it dealt with everything from selecting land to the fiber optics. I have what I think to be a good well stocked garage with a 170 amp mig, chop saw and gas set. All of the standard tools for wood working and building the race cars. I think that’s I can learn the Diesel Biggest concern is that it seems that like everything else FMTVs are going up in price along with RVs and everything else.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks. I just found the section on converting ot building based on FMTV. As to my skills I have had many jobs and hobbies as I passed through with my life. Did some racing building my own car and was the lead on building out a class 7/stadium truck. Understand gas engines and can wrench on them as I wish. Worked up through the ranks into engineering management starting as a tech and not college working in IT. My path had was in building and managing Data Centers so it dealt with everything from selecting land to the fiber optics. I have what I think to be a good well stocked garage with a 170 amp mig, chop saw and gas set. All of the standard tools for wood working and building the race cars. I think that’s I can learn the Diesel Biggest concern is that it seems that like everything else FMTVs are going up in price along with RVs and everything else.
Good deal! You should be in good shape to build your own... Don't let the diesel part stress you too much. Oil and Filter changes are much the same and threads here will help you do those operations.

Asking questions will help, and ultimately with a CAT dealer always a possibility. They won't be cheap, but not especially more costly than any other dealership you ever visited.

---

If you are ready to have your own big green (or tan) FMV, check out what your neighbor "Fuzzy" has to offer. His experience will save you time and money learning to navigate and guess on popular auction sites.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy dbduchene,

Most people go with the M1078 unless you plan to stretch it like you said. @ramdough bought a M1083A1 from me and just had his stretched for his build. Like Simp said, I have a few models on hand. I also have an M934A1 if you're trying to cut to the chase and start doing the actual build. 😅

dbduchene

Howdy dbduchene,

Most people go with the M1078 unless you plan to stretch it like you said. @ramdough bought a M1083A1 from me and just had his stretched for his build. Like Simp said, I have a few models on hand. I also have an M934A1 if you're trying to cut to the chase and start doing the actual build. 😅
Thanks, The long nose, (read even longer wheel base)weight, and low power of the M934A1 leave it off of the table for me. RIght now after looking at many of the choices I have narrowed it down to the Stewart & Stevenson truck with the 3126 Cat Unless there is something evil with the Stewart & Stevenson’s

ramdough

Howdy dbduchene,

Most people go with the M1078 unless you plan to stretch it like you said. @ramdough bought a M1083A1 from me and just had his stretched for his build. Like Simp said, I have a few models on hand. I also have an M934A1 if you're trying to cut to the chase and start doing the actual build.
[mention]dbduchene [/mention] welcome to the hobby.

As [mention]fuzzytoaster [/mention] said, I bought my truck from him. I highly recommend getting a truck from him. If I every buy another MV, I will buy it from Fuzzytoaster no question! He has a love (or obsession) with these trucks and treats you like you are adopting one of his kids. . Either way, he made sure I had a solid truck before he let me take it home.

If you need to talk about what you are doing, I would be happy to discuss. I have been planning for 4 years. I would not extend the frame inside the wheelbase. There is a lot of stuff in there and you are asking for a steep price tag to sort it all out. I had mine extended 38” behind the rear tires. That still looks appropriate and the departure angle is still around what my pickup had. Realistically, unless you are driving through ravines, you won’t notice since the ground clearance is so high.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks