• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another MEP-802a thread; battery wire

Ratch

I noticed my Battery-to-battery wire had some damage to it as I was putting my batteries in for long term. Someone before me decided a few wraps of electrical tape was good enough to repair it...

I suspect this is the reason I saw and have heard of several of these units having fires inside the housing.
The cable that runs under the engine between the batteries will have it's jacket worn through eventually, then short against the chassis and either ignite flammable spills, or overheat the battery to the point of ignition.

I put wire loom over the length of the cable, and wrapped that in electrical tape. Once I had the batteries in and it was positioned, I zip-tied it to the bottom of the engine block in two places. That's probably the key, preventing abrasion through vibration. Hopefully it won't melt through, but at least it won't wear through.

I also removed the positive cable from the external slave port to the starter. No need for it, and just another place for a short to happen. Eventually, I'll remove the slave port and add a port for a battery maintainer.

I recommend anyone running an MEP-802a take care of that wire if you're going to use it.

WP_20140322_025.jpgWP_20140322_026.jpgWP_20140322_027.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks