• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Mosler GSA file cabinet question

MilspecDave

Hello to all; I'm a new member from Port Huron MI and have a different question regarding a Mosler GSA file safe I recently purchase. This is a Mosler model SFC-4 class 6 four drawer legal size file cabinet and I need to know how to remove the drawers so I can de-rust, paint and lubricate inside the main cabinet. I'd also like to be able to move the cabinet from the garage to it's final location in the house without the weight of the drawers to contend with. If anyone knows how to do this I'd really appreciate your advice.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

PeterD

I *think* there are catches on the sides. They do come out, I believe as I'm sure I pulled mine out several times. Look carefully, I think they can be seen easily (since I, the village idiot, had no issues removing mine.)

(Sorry I can't look on mine but it is in a closet that is so tight I can't see the sides of the drawers!)

MilspecDave

OK- got my answer on these from Art. I private messaged him having seen his good response to some lock questions. Turns out there are some #8 phillips head self tapping screws on the ends of the tracks that hold the drawers down over tabs on the tracks. Once the screws are removed you lift the drawers slightly to disengage the tabs and the drawers pull right out. Thanks to all for the help.

Dave

PeterD

Ah, yes, I remember now. But IIRC, mine didn't have the screws (bet they'd been removed and never replaced.)

If you have the original lock I have information on how to change the combination somewhere. It is not difficult, but requires extreme care to avoid the possibility of accidentally locking ones self out of the unit!

Isaac-1

I am not sure which brand of lock yours has, or how old it is, but I own an older (built in the late 1960's) Mosler Class 2 cabinet, it came with an S&G brand lock. The locks used on all of these GSA containers are radiological attack resistant meaning they have plastic like gears and components that are invisible to x-rays. When I bought mine the lock was broken, and thankfully the drawer was braced open, so I of course swapped it out for a modern S&G digital lock, in the process I discovered that the cause of the failure of the original were those plastic, mica, or whatever it was components. After 40 years the stuff was so fragile that it would shatter at the lightest touch, and I don't mean prying with a screw driver, I mean touching with a finger tip.

Ike