• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another New Deuce

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
EUC cleared for new deuce yesterday (of course Ft Sam doesn't allow pickups on Fri) and TexAndy and Keith_J will be helping with the recovery.

Didn't get a chance to start her at inspect because it had the old style slave recepticle and I left my adapters at home so have my fingers crossed on whether she runs or not.

It does have new mirrors and new seats plus, drumroll please, ELECTRIC wipers! Now if it ever rains again I'll be able to see when I drive.

Attachments

TexRdnec

i remember that set............good looking truck, congrats

ETA: those guys sure get around, they'll be helping me retrieve mine as well!

Last edited:

jimm1009

new-to-you truck

You'll really enjoy the electric wipers. They are three hundered percent better than the air driven motors with their two inch long wiper blades tha only smear the water around.

Jim :-D

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh Yeah! Nice truck. It's got a winch. I need a winch (he said winch huh haa hah).
Last 2 auctions at Ft Sam they had winch trucks going for under $800. Now I didn't get mine that cheap but then again it's a little nicer than the $800 ones. Still, get the truck, take the winch, sell the truck. Very easy.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Mark,

I thought your wife didn't want you to have a Big truck. Now you got two.....I guess you really have the OD Fever...........LOL

Warthog

Keith_J

It drives better than it looks. Sure, the steering is just a wee bit loose but that is in the box, not in the tie rods. I had the joy of doing the ferry drive, some 45 miles. It buries the needle on the speedometer.

A little stiff on starting but that is probably fuel filters. New tank so there shouldn't be any goo in the tank. Hand throttle needs repair as does the left rear turn signal. Leaking on the left rears but brakes were strong and straight.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turns out the truck is actually nicer than I thought at first look. Almost new paint (bed hasn't even been used), says it was undercoated in '98 but looks a whole lot fresher than that, winch cable looks unused, and it's actually pretty clean.

Huge thanks to TexAndy and Keith_J for hanging out this morning and getting things going. Keith is an indespensible person to have on a recovery. Not only does he know HOW to tell if something's wrong but he knows HOW to fix it. And Andy gets the gold star for airing up all the tires (10psi and all).

Can't wait for the MV only show on the 26th at the Texas Transportation Museum. A quick wash and a little touch up paint and she'll be looking fine.

More pics tomorrow as I left the camera in the other rig:doh:

Keith_J

Genset ain't so pretty neither.
Well, the panels are sun bleached. But I have ideas...

Make the graphics for the printed panel using any computer software...Photoshop/Autocad etc. Autocad would be easiet. Then print it out life size for proof. DARK INK, laser printer is best. This is the pattern.

Take the old board and have it dark hard anodized. Now apply Dupont PM115 photoresist film using a heat laminator/roller with heat gun etc. Must be done INSIDE at night. Now lay the pattern over this and expose to sunlight for 15 minutes. Remove the pattern, then develop with sodium bicarbonate solution (baking soda). Finally, etch off the anodizing with sodium hydroxide soak!

Finish with a polyester resin. Like new. That is how they are made, only we have the computer these days.

Yes, I have done dark hard anodizing. You could do the regular anodizing but it would also fade.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks