• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

another starting question

galeo7171

I turn the key, the wait light comes on, I hear the relay click under the dash.... Does the relay making noise mean the the glow plugs are being turned on? I'm thinking of installing a manual push button for the glow plugs because it takes a minute or so to start the truck up when its cold.

JAsher45

yes the relay that you are hearing is a solnoid on the firewall the powers the glow plugs. you shoudl hear it cycle a few more times after the truck is started. if it is taking a while to start the more then a minute you should check your plugs.. they may not all be working properly.

galeo7171

I just replaced all of the them with new wellmans. Of course, I do have a leak in my injection pump on the seal where the accelerator shaft attaches....maybe this is the cause of starting problems. So if I hear the relay clicking then that means I've got power to the glow plugs? So I don't have to do the manual button right now?

hobie237

There's something else in the circuit. I haven't yet figured out what it is, but the relay can click without the plugs going on. I verified this (I think) today when I wired a manual glow plug switch, tested it with the truck hot, relay clicked, but the glow plugs didn't come on as verified by the voltmeter. I *think* it's the temperature sensor that interrupts the circuit after the relay if the engine is hot. Not sure. If I can find out what it is, I'd like to bypass it.

Edit- I just went out and started up the truck, the wait light came on (indicating it was cold) I held the button that I'd wired in down, but didn't see the voltmeter drop like it used to when the plugs were on. Figured what they hey, held it down, counted to ten, cranked it- fired right up. Tells me that there's something else there that was drawing current, but I'm not sure what the heck is going on.

Sigh, time to pull the wiring diagrams out again... or hope that somebody with more experience chimes in.

dependable

There are people here that know more about these things than I, but you should keep your warn up temp sensor if you want to take care of your engine in cold climates. I always wait till it kicks down before hitting the road, though I will fast idle them around the yard. I think this sensor is important if you keep stock glow control also.

hobie237

So is there just one temperature sensor that sends the signal to all the various cold functions (fast idle, cold advance and glow plugs)? If so, does anyone have the part number? There are a couple of different "coolant temperature sensor" parts listed in various places around the 'net.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks