• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another transfer case question

98hd

I want to get away from my sprag case in my 813. Is there any reason I can't mount a manual case from a M35?

Thanks
Van

The 5-ton case is huge. The M35 is much smaller and I imagine not rated for the greater loads the 5-ton is capable of.

Have you thought of doing the MWO to turn the sprag on and off? (It is just a valve to shut off the air supply to the sprag)

hvann

The 5-ton case is huge. The M35 is much smaller and I imagine not rated for the greater loads the 5-ton is capable of.

Have you thought of doing the MWO to turn the sprag on and off? (It is just a valve to shut off the air supply to the sprag)

I have read a lot here on the site about that, but I'm confused about how that can fix a sprag that is worn out. I can see how that helps if it is just an ingagement issue. So are most of the issues with the sprag type boxes engagement or worn sprag? It sure is confusing.

Thanks
Van

98hd

I have read a lot here on the site about that, but I'm confused about how that can fix a sprag that is worn out. I can see how that helps if it is just an ingagement issue. So are most of the issues with the sprag type boxes engagement or worn sprag? It sure is confusing.

Thanks
Van
Ahh, well you hadn't mentioned yours was worn. I think the most issues are getting the sprag wound up. Like if you roll backwards when the sprag is engaged forward.

I personally don't like the sprag either, but haven't found any other options. I do have an extra t-case (pops out of high range) I would like to play around with someday.

hvann

Ahh, well you hadn't mentioned yours was worn. I think the most issues are getting the sprag wound up. Like if you roll backwards when the sprag is engaged forward.

I personally don't like the sprag either, but haven't found any other options. I do have an extra t-case (pops out of high range) I would like to play around with someday.
98hd Thanks for the reply's. I'm not sure what is wrong at this point. It could be worn or engagement. I guess I was just looking at getting away from what just about everyone says is a bad design. If the sprag is worn or damaged can new parts still be had for these boxes.
I do like the idea of some sort of control on the sprag box that would engage it when I wanted it to be.

Van

98hd

98hd Thanks for the reply's. I'm not sure what is wrong at this point. It could be worn or engagement. I guess I was just looking at getting away from what just about everyone says is a bad design. If the sprag is worn or damaged can new parts still be had for these boxes.
I do like the idea of some sort of control on the sprag box that would engage it when I wanted it to be.

Van
No idea on the parts. I would start downloading TM's till you get one w/ a parts listing and start searching. There have got to be quite a few t-cases out there that pop out of high range, but have a good sprag unit you could buy.

hvann

Thanks Tentires, The trouble with used sprag boxes you can end up with the same thing you have aready. I'm sure you could salvage the bearings gears and such but if the sprag it self is bad I would be stuck with another bad box. I would think rebuild parts are available somewhere, like 98hd said I need to do some searching. If I could bring a sprag box back to life it should out last me. But the deal with having the truck moving in the wrong direction for the sprag is still going to be an issue. I have been off roading a lot and rolling backwards while in a forward gear is going to happen.

Signed
Confused

emr

I think the sprag for the most part of the 5 tons simply put, worked , no need to change, the deuce on the other hand had some trouble so to speak, but then again worked very very well when maintained,I loved mine for years of hard use, awesome design! the key is maintaned,these are tactical trucks, and need to be worked on, some may take em mud bogging like me for instance, but that was not there function, although 75 percent of there life was to be off road in there design, the 5 tonners were/are robust, problems now? these are OLD trucks...,many many people drove em, most had no idea of how to or simply care about taking care of it, the air assist in the 5 ton made alot of difference, of course we like things to happen fast and when we need it, and a switch makes alot of difference, but to be honnest, I have been taking my 813A1 in some pretty tuff spots, it works just fine, I can see an air shift would be nice, but its not out there....would like to see something that would do what the above post said, ???not sure i understand how,Randy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks