• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another update on my M1009…got the floor pan welded in!

linx310

Another update on my M1009…got the floor pan welded in!

Took the panel I cut last week and placed it over the hole again and traced the area along the beams. I did this so I could drill holes for the plug welds.

I cleaned up the panel and the areas I was going to weld in the truck.

I installed the panel and used metal to metal self tapping screws about every other plug weld to hold the panel in place. To line up the edges of the panel I used scrap steel to pull the new panel piece in line with the panels I was welding to.

I then placed tack welds at the end of each corner and started to go around the panel placing a tack welding in between each one. I would do about 10 tacks and then let the panel cool off.

After I had the edges and all the plug holes welded I removed the screws and welded up the holes.

After about 90 minutes I was through welding.

I stood on the panel to make sure it was holding and then cleaned up the welds. Not bad for my first time welding sheet metal I think.

Attachments

linx310

Now onto the rocker panel. I cut out the bad section with the dotco and used a wire wheel to clean up the inner rocket. I then used a rust preventative primer to coat the inside of the rocker.

I then tapped copy paper over the area I cut out and used a pencil to scribe the area I had cut.

I then transferred the paper to a piece of cardboard and cut the area I scribed out with a box cutter.

I now have a template to cut a patch out of my replacement rocker.

I ran out of cutting disc so I was unable to finish cutting the panel. Hopefully next week I will be able to get it done.

Attachments

Wolf.Dose

No kidding, seems that someone has to improve its welding skills!
And the rocker panels should be replaced in full length due to the situation.
Note: These trucks had NO rust preventations, for thy were intended for some 5 to 10 years of use only, cheep throw away trucks. No chassis paint, no body underside painting. What do you expect from a 19000 $ truck with a 3000 $ engine option and a never listed trans option. So the basic price is below 16000 $ for a M1009 by that time. The 24 V system is also not listed. But the 2 options (THM400 and 24 V incl. Alts and Batterie including hand modified harness is more than an other 1000 bucks, not to mention the extra of the military paint).
Wolf

linx310

And the rocker panels should be replaced in full length due to the situation. Note: These trucks had NO rust preventations, for thy were intended for some 5 to 10 years of use only, cheep throw away trucks. No chassis paint, no body underside painting. What do you expect from a 19000 $ truck with a 3000 $ engine option and a never listed trans option. So the basic price is below 16000 $ for a M1009 by that time. The 24 V system is also not listed. But the 2 options (THM400 and 24 V incl. Alts and Batterie including hand modified harness is more than an other 1000 bucks, not to mention the extra of the military paint).
Why can't I just weld a patch in, I cut out all the cancer areas and it has been done to lots of others?

I don't think these trucks are unibodys and a patch has to be stronger then the rust hole that was already there.

I already cut the patch out my full outer rocker so there is no going back atm for me.

. No chassis paint, no body underside painting
Strange my chassis looks like it was painted black, of course this could have been how the metal looked at the factory.

Last edited:

Wolf.Dose

The one thing to cure the problem finally. That means to replace ALL the "cancer" parts.
The second is: in February 1985 I saw the first CUCV series M1009 in Colmar / Elsass at the 40 anniversary of the liberation of the town and these M1009 had no underside painting, neither on the chassis or the body underside.
Third: When I got my M1009 in 1992 the chassis, the axles and the body underside carried NO paint and were rusty. I painted the underside the very first time after I removed the most of the rust. The result of the poor rust prevention simply was, that I had to scrap the truck 5 years ago for it was not worth any more to spend 5 weeks of holidays in welding work. Rear body end was completly rotten, rear cab mounts were rotten to allmost nothing. We experianced M1009 were cab mounts were completly rouuen away with only 2 front mounts keeping the cab to the chassis.
Forth: due to my profession I saw and inspected some 100 CUCV series truck of which none had an original chassis painting.
Fifth: all the CUCV series trucks I assisted to scrap for spare parts also newer had a chassis painting.
Answers this your questions?
Wolf

linx310

The one thing to cure the problem finally. That means to replace ALL the "cancer" parts.
The only parts that had any major issues where that rocker and floor pan part because they left the floor mat in and and it collected water.

I lucked out on my truck, I don't have any cancer any place else.

When I get the truck cleaned up I am gonna spray a rust preventive on the entire under body. I live in an area they doesn't get much rain and no snow so hopefully it will last a long time here.

Last edited:

K9Vic

Welding is more of an art then a skill, but looks like it got the job done on the floor to cover the holes. Sure there are better ways to do it and make it fully right, but being in Texas there are no concerns from salted roads. I have done the same on a 1978 C20 P/U just cutting out an patching the hole in the floor board, worked fine and looked good. As for the rockers it is best to replace them in whole with the available replacements form LMC truck. I plan to do this on my M1009 next month, but right now it is still too hot outside.

Anyways, is that your welder or did you rent that?
That is a nice one, mine is just a basic 120v
90Amp flux wire welder and does what I need it to do for now.

linx310

Anyways, is that your welder or did you rent that?

Its mine...one of the most expensive tools I have ever bought...

Ordered a sand blaster, gonna blast the floor boards and inside part of the rotted rocker and then cover it in POR-15.

rnd-motorsports

Looks great and better than what started with!!! My dad is retired from gm built the m1009 on the same assembly lines as the reg blazer wolf is mistaken on the frame the frames come to the assembly line or assembly plant from another plant already painted and put on the line. the body did not get undercoat.and not alot of paint not trying to argue just a fact. Not sure where wolf got his trucks from but yes I have seen some rusty undersides myself. anyways the rocker is best to replace as hole but what you are doing will get several years more out of it and also the satifaction in saying I did it myself! Good job!:driver:and the more you weld the better you will get its an art like anyother the more you do it the better you will get! And no the trucks are not unibody they are built on a frame the cab is one unit set on the frame .