• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Antenna Mount threads

SteveSkal

First let me start by saying hello, I don't think I've even formally introduced myself to the board, I'm Steve from Denver and just picked up my first MV, a 1984 M1009 with 47,000 miles. So of course I've been tinkering already and one of the things noticed was the previous owner gummed up the threads in the side of the truck with silicone where the Antenna mounts go. I thought this was strange so I pulled off the silicone and the threads looked a little rusty inside but tried to start a bolt in there and then it just made the whole thread spin and now I can't get the bolt out! What do I do, has any one else had this problem, is there a fix for these?? Thanks for my first question to the board :wink:

digitaldust

its basically nut-certs that your working with , try having person B under the truck holding up vice grips and try to grab a hold of the back of the nut. then clean the threads with a tap and die kit .
thats my 2¢ , oh WELCOME to the MV world! and have a search about this in the radio area .

mistaken1

Welcome to the site.

Search for nutserts and/or antenna mounts in the cucv forum and you will find a number of threads with pictures and options for your dilemma.

ssdvc

I had the same thing happen to me. I bought some galvanized bolts from HD and I guess the galvanic coating increased the diameter of the bolt and threads ever so slightly. Anyway, it locked up one of the nutserts. I just had a buddy tack weld each one to the body, then I chased each nutsert with the proper tap and each bolt with the proper die. Coated the bolt with anti-seize and that was that.

Works great and you don't have to worry about the nutsert spinning loose again.[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks