• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any Biodiesel homebrewers?

rickta24

hey guys i'm looking at purchasing my first cucv this summer.
i'm getting into making biodiesel and i don't even have a truck to put it in yet (just motivation to get one that much faster).

eventually when i get it this will be my daily driver. i have two questions:
how many of yall use your cucv as a daily driver? is this doable?
does anybody homebrew biodiesel and run it in their cucv consistently??

Thanks for the help and thanks for all the info in this forum. i've got the bug....REALLY bad.

ojsdna744

rickta24 said:
eventually when i get it this will be my daily driver. i have two questions:
how many of yall use your cucv as a daily driver? is this doable?
does anybody homebrew biodiesel and run it in their cucv consistently??
1. I drive my CUCV almost everyday on a 40 mile round-trip commute. I love driving it, sometimes I pull my M101 trailer along just for fun!!

2. Everytime I visit my brother, I fill up with bio-diesel from a local station that sells it near him. That never has given me any problems in my CUCV, I'd imagine your home-brew won't either. (Although it gels at a higher temperature than normal diesel, be aware of that)

3. Welcome to the forum, using that search button, you can find an answer to almost any question!! :D

EDIT: Being from Texas, I don't imagine fuel gelling to be a problem either!!! rofl

AJMBLAZER

Read the alternative fuels section of this site. Got some good info there and there's a long post about using biodiesel in the 6.2L.

I don't drive my CUCV pickup daily but I have when my DD has given me trouble. Sometimes for a few weeks actually. It's not bad but you have to remember it's a bare bones truck with minimal sound insulation, a LOUD diesel engine, no radio, no over drive, and even when new the wind noise on these things was horrendous. Oh, and the steering was terrible as well when they were new. If you're lucky it's still terrible and not any worse. You get used to it.

Which CUCV are you looking at, the pickups or the Blazers? Honestly the pickups are beefier with their 1 ton axles but the Blazers would be a better daily driver due to their 3.08 gears.
Pickups have 4.56 gears which is very low geared for the 31" tall tires they came with. However recent reading of my -10 "owners manual" shows that the military considers their max road speed to be 37mph...so they don't care about the rpm's. Convoy speed is 35mph so they never expected these things to crank out 70mph or even 55mph. I had one up to 50mph once on the stock tires and it sounded pretty scary. One solution is to find someone with a similar civy K30 and swap them for their lower geared axles if you want to keep the little tires (beware their vehicle WON'T have a locker in the rear (all pickups) or a limited slip in the front (M1028's only) unless they put it there from the aftermarket). 3.73 and 4.10 gears are common in civy K30's.
The other, and arguably easier, solution is to put taller tires on. Even 33's would give you more top end speed for the pickups. However some of us have shown that you can run 36" tires on these at the stock height with some rubbing that isn't horrible if you do minor trimming. My truck's future includes about 1" of front lift and enough trimming to keep the tires off of the fender completely.
Mine goes down the road pretty well with the 36's and 4.56's but it still is kinda low geared. OD would be great as well. Something to consider for the future.

Now with a Blazer you'd have 3.08 gears which if anything are high geared...but you could likely do 70mph all day with that setup even with no OD. However there's likely oodles of people with 3.55, 3.73, and 4.10 geared half ton axles ready to dump them for 3/4 ton or 1 ton stuff so you can relatively easily upgrade to better gear ratios.

rickta24

wow thanks guys for the input. i didn't even see that there WAS and alternate fuel forum on here. great info.

I'm looking at the m1008, prob eventually add 4" lift and run 35 or 37" ssr radials. I know it's prob not the greatest selection for a DD but that's what i've always wanted.

86k10

I was driving my 1028 to work for a while before diesel went up so high. 55 miles round trip, however I did get get a cd player for it, I'm not a good enough singer to go that many miles and have to listen to myself. But It has the stock tires yet and I drive at least 55 but nothing more than 60. After all they are a detroit diesel and detroits like to wind. But now I got out the old 74 to go to work and it's on LP which is cheaper to drive and it nice to go so long without having to get fuel.

jhow66

My son and I make our own bio to run in our m1009. Use it all the time . He drives it to work most days (gets almost 20mpg). Best thing about the bio is that we only have about $.060 per gal. in it. We also made our own processor. Will post a photo kater as he has upsized it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks