• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any M-915's on the road.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have seen 915's on the GL website but they were usually FUBAR. I just wondered if anybody had one in operating condition. :?:
I once had the dubious pleasure of convoying from Fort Benning, GA to Fort Irwin CA in a 915.
They had the 400 Comeapart and Cat 15 speed automatic in them and we turned ours up to 2300 rpm. 8)
We would fall out of the convoy and goof off at a truck stop and then run 80 mph to catch up. We shocked the hell out of a lot of commercial rigs.
That worked well until we blew past the Convvoy Commnder running WAO. :shock:
At the next layover the maint. sgt. made us turn them down and confiscated all the spare "buttons" and shims we had. :roll:
I wouldn't mind having one to pull a lowboy.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Any M-915

There was one at Aberdeen in 2005 pulling a lowboy. Love to have one myself.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Yep JH. It was (and may still be) the Army's line haul tractor.
They didn't have a sleeper so the poor co-driver just sat over in the dummy seat and got his brains beat out. No air seat on that side.
They had a short wheel base, no air ride suspension, and only held 110 gallons of fuel. It was designed by an idiot after lenghty consultation with a moron. If you took it off road it would get stuck in it's own shadow.
The 916 was had FWD and the 920 (I think) had FWD and an extra tag axle and was usually in engineer units. It hauled heavy equipment on a lowboy.
When I was at FT. Benning my unit had 2 916's to haul our bulldoziers. Those of us qualified on the 916 often got farmed out to the trans unit next to us if they were short of 915 drivers (thus the trip to CA).
I think the PLS trucks replaced them but I've been out of the Transportion Corps over ten years.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Thanks Ken. I have been in the Public Affairs arena since 1997 and haven't kept up to date on military transportation related issues. I know Freightliner was involved with the later trucks but not all the details.

jkelly66

that artical reminds me of the story of the farmer that kept trying to buy a better mule wasnt succsessful and finaly ended up buying a tractor. even though the 915s didnt see alot of service they are still old neglected trucks and I think uncle will be sorry for giving them a new facelift. Another thing in the artical I noticed they refered to split rims as far as I know the 915 and 920 ect. always had buds

jkelly66

818 was an exelent tractor the 915s and 920s were made for pavement and not good for combat and if you let your air pressure drop to low and the button on the side of the air opperated semi auto trans popped out going down hill or a mountain you were in for a scary ride