• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any Maryland members around?

bones1

Hello. I am new here, just a few weeks, but I have already met some really good folks here. It is a pleasure to find such an informative board that is packed with information and visited by such good people.

I live in Southern Maryland and I have a deuce on the way, bought right here from a member and transported by a member as well, and was wondering what type of tags/registration you guys use in Maryland. I see historic,street rod requiring no inspections of any kind but with driving restrictions. Are there any better options for registration of these type trucks?.

Thanks for any input.
Good Day.

Last edited:

'48Chevy6

We run Maryland Historic plates. State Farm commercial insurance/personal use. The insurance is much more expensive than some you hear about, but I believe that we would have real coverage in the unlikely event of an accident.

Located near the intersection of I-70 and I-81, hollar if your're ever up this way.

Tim

Oh, and welcome to the club.

midcounty

Exactly that. Historic plates and State Farm commercial ins here as well. Other cheaper ins will place a lot of restrictions leaving you uncovered if you ever need it, which hopefully none of us ever will.

3rdmdqm

Mine is registered as historic ($80 p/yr in insurance with restrictions). What are you going to use it for? Farm use can register as a farm vehicle, otherwise you will have to register as a Class E truck (two or more axles) if you don't want to register as historic. If you register it as anything other than historic, you will have to get the vehicle inspected and comply with equipment requirements. Historic vehicles are exempt from inspection requirements and are only required to have equipment the vehicle was equipped with at the time it was manufactured. Go to this site, it will give you more motor vehicle information than you will ever want to know. Registering other than historic will also effect your insurance rates which will be significantly higher, depending on general usage and driving distances etc. Click on Transportation then scroll down to Title 13. You want to peruse sections 13-916, 13-935, 13-936 and 13-937. http://michie.lexisnexis.com/maryland/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=mdcode

Last edited:
Welcome, I am running Historic plates on mine. The chances of getting hassled for it is slim to none. I drive mine a fair ammount but tend to stay off the highway. I am in the Frederick area and see a lot of State Police Truck Inspectors on 270. If you are ever in the area let me know.....

Phil

Kohburn

historic tags and progressive unrestricted personal use insurance.

says M35A2 right on my insurance card :)

I'm also in SOMD - where are you located?

bones1

Wow. So many replies so quick with very good information.So far it looks like Historic registration wins, I was just concerned about the driving restrictions and if they really were inforced. I am in Bryantown, just below Waldorf. Also any ideas on where to buy a cargo cover and bows?. Thanks again.

Kohburn

I might be interested in selling my bows, haven't decided yet. I'm down by solomons island

tag restrictions really aren't enforcable because of the wording of the paper they make you sign. it allos the vehicle to be driven for "other uses" while trying to make it sound like it actually restricts you to purely show/club/parade activities. It actually allows for you to take it for the ocassional drive, to go to the shop, etc.

as long as its not your daily driver and you don't try to use it for commercial perposes i doubt any police will hassle you.

bones1

Thanks and I can assume a class a or b is not required . I know a few folks near Solomons island, used to live down there, well across the bridge near PAX..

3rdmdqm

Class B is not required, the deuce weighs in at 13,500 lbs. depending on winch etc. and is rated to carry 10,000 lbs of cargo over roads making it under 26,000 lbs GVW. Anything up to 26,000 lbs you can drive on a class C (non-commercial) license. Below is the wording for the Historic registration, and yes it is loosely worded and hard to enforce:
(e) Special registration requirements.- In applying for registration of a historic motor vehicle under this section, the owner of the vehicle shall submit with the application a certification that the vehicle for which the application is made:
(1) Will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation, and similar uses; and (2) Will not be used:
(i) For general daily transportation; or
(ii) Primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways.

Last edited:

3rdmdqm

One other interesting note for Maryland members. I have heard many discussions about not needing to display plates on these trucks registered as historic since they did not have registration plates originally issued to them as long as you keep the historic plates in the truck cab. This is not true. Maryland law requires that a front and rear registration plate (Historic included) be displayed on the vehicle. There is a provision to obtain a vintage registration plate (one from the year of your vehicle if issued) issued by MVA to display in place of the modern plates, however the plate must be approved and issued by the MVA. If you drive with no plates, you do so at your own risk. Just some interesting trivia if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

bones1

So if you had to haul furniture from your home in Maryland to Blacksburg Va for your daughter on 81 and 66 not to worry. Im gonna do it anyway maybe. Anyone ever get a ticket or fine for breaking the Historic rules?.

Mine is registered historic with State Farm "antique classic" insurance for now. The restrictions are limited to 2000 miles a year and no major modifications to the vehicle. I can leave the state with that insurance, I can drive it to the store or work once in a while, just so long as I don't go over 2000 miles a year. The only reason I'm using that insurance for now is because it's $30 for 6 months. I'll be switching to commercial once I start driving it a bit more often or start the bob job.

DieselBob

Welcome to the wonderful world of MV ownership. I have historic plates on my deuce and commercial through Nationwide with a rider for personal non commercial use. I'm in the Arnold area.

jmh4x4

welcome to the club, I have historic tags as well, and insurance through Gulfway (really a Travelers policy just obtained through Gulfway) its for limited use only (shows, parades, limited use). I've had to file a claim through them, luckly it wasnt my fault (drunk driver vs deuce), and they were awesome to deal with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks