• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any one put a turbo on the 250 cummins?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
RE: Any one put a turbo on the 250 cat?

are you talking about your 816, if so its a cummins

madsam

Sorry, yes, has anyone put a turbo on a cummins.. Still sleepy from my trip.

madsam

I will start a new thread as I can't change the title.

madsam

Re started a thread as I messed up the title. Has anyone ever put a turbo on a cummins NHC 250? I guess it would be hard as the intake is on the other side from the exhaust.

madsam

Was looking at pics of turbos on large engines. Intercoolers move the hight pressure from one side of the engine to the other. So with a little hammering and a crowbar... maybe that could be done. I wonder if the engine could handle it. Would it adversely affect the temperature, and burn the piston, or blow the head gasket..

The only reason I was thinking about it is that mt 816 has lost over half its power by the time I got it to 10,000 feet. A turbo would fix the oxygen starving issue. Maybe a turbo with a loose waist gate could add the power back at this altitude.

spicergear

I think it was mentioned recently that the block has the ability to have piston cooling but the engine does not currently. Power added and you could be looking at a fried piston without a lot of preturbo block and piston prep.

madsam

RE: turbo

The mufler is under the hood and takes up a big space. If you took that out of there and mounted a smoke stack type on the outside, that would leave a lot of room. My exhaust needs help anyway, and I was thinking on taking all that out..

dma251

I know a guy that did it - and he explained to me how to do it. Here's what I know - although I never got around to doing it to mine - I was planning on it.

The muffler has to be removed from the right side of the motor. He said it didn't make much difference in the noise level anyway. It's in the location where the turbo will go. The turbo can be one of the turbo's used on the other Cummins turbocharged version of this motor that were used on generators and other stationary equipment.

The radiator reservior has to be shifted rearward. I think he said you just need to make another small metal bracket for it. He said there was plenty of room.

The hood clearance issue was solved by trimming the reinforcing rib that runs across the hood left to right. He said the crossover tube that goes from the turbo to the intake is a commonly used Cummins part from another truck, and can be had at any dealer. Probably have to mock something up and head down to your local Cummins dealer parts dept to try to match something up. I'll ask him next time I see him if he still has the part number.

The aircleaner is moved over to the right fender, but is the original aircleaner.

The fuel pump has to be recalilbrated, but he said he just pulled it off and took it to a local cummins shop and they adjusted the fuel delivery timing for him. He said it was no big deal. I'm not sure if he switched out the injectors to the injectors from the turbocharged engine.

He also said that a pyro and boost gauge were obviously a requirement to keep an eye on the temps, but that the motor made somewhere around 350 hp. He used it to run down to California frequently and said it would do 70 easily with 16-20 singles on it. I've seen pics of it, and since his business is building military trucks and surplus I believe him.

It was a sweet truck until a guy that was planning on comitting suicide veering into his lane and hit him head-on at 55 mph (Brad was going about 60 he said) and managed to make it under the truck, but couldn't quite make it past the rear duals of the fully loaded trailer behind the truck. I saw pics of that too. The 5-ton looked fine except for the front axle was torn out. It basically just dropped down onto the frame and slid down the road until it stopped.The Camaro the kid was driving didn't fare so well.

The kid was hosed out of the car, and Brad went down to Tijuana two years later and got two new front teeth to replace the two that came out against the steering wheel.

The pics were incredible. To see what was once a 1997 Camaro pass almost completely under a 24,000 lbs truck, and a 30,000 lbs trailer really makes you appreciate physics.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Madsam, just for future reference you can go back and edit your post or titles. There is an edit button on the lower right of the post. I'm going to merge the 2 topics under this title so that the other one doesn't get lost.

dma251

redass73 said:
dma251. do you have those pics , turbo and camaro

Man, I sure wish I did. They were 8" x 11" and were mounted inside a great big frame inside his shop. They could have even been actual photographs (anyone remember those? ;) )

It's one of those stories that has to be seen to be appreciated or believed, that's for sure. All I can tell you is I saw it with my own eyes, and it was amazing. It didn't even look like a a wrecked car. It looked like highway litter he happened to park on. Seriously.

If anyone knows Brad Milne in McKenna Washington feel free to ask him about it. Also feel free to compliment him on his purty "Tijuana Smile" ;) I love teasing him about that!

Anyway - my main point was about the turbo - it can, and has, been done. And it can fit under the stock hood.

How long it'll last with out being VERY careful with how you run it, That's debatable.

madsam

I don't want a real hot truck, just would like to have the power it had Saturday in Baton Rouge when I left. A 350 might loose some back to 250 at 10,000 feet.. It is to bad that there is not a system to put intake manifold pressure back to the same place it was at sea level some how. only give boost as you go up in altitude so you can keep the 250hp it had at sea level. That way you would compensate for altitude without risking your engine.

dma251 :

I would love to see scanned pics if you could get them. even digital pics of a real picture would do.

My muffler is broke right at the output of the big can, so I am trying to figure out what I want to do anyway. If I could justify a mod because I "have to change that anyway"....

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
my muffler died at the same place, when i get to it, im just going to stright pipe it and put a flapper on the stack

madsam

Yes. I don't think the muffler quiets things down a hole lot. It is like you are straddling the engine when you drive the thing anyway. Maybe running a pipe all the way back might quiet it down a little, but the engine is so loud rattling and banging even without the exhaust noise, it would be loud.

But that is part of their charm..

jwaller

many aircraft use whats called a turbo normalizing system. the eng will have a turbo but will only produce the amount of pressure needed to keep the sea level power up to altitude. in that respect a 250 cummins could be normalized to maintain 240hp up to altitude without risk of eng damage.

I am just thinking about putting a turbo on mine to make about 50-75 more horses at sea level.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks