• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any Sheet Metal Bangers in the house?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ken:
I think it is fixable. I know that most of my early work included ugly working marks and out of line symetry but it got the job done. I would start with a trace of the desired finish lines and work it from there. Most likely it would be easier to work off the truck than still mounted. I was thinking a VOTECH school in the area might take it on as a project in their body shop for veterans day

Jones

Wood blocks sawn into formers and dies with small sledge, and a rubber or wooden mallet for direct to sheetmetal work are my tools of the trade. Don't use metal on metal or you'll leave marks. Remember too that flat paints always show less flaws than gloss and that a new, pristine part on a working truck will stand out like a fish in a tree. Happy hammering.

Knucklehead

Recovry 4X4, that will be a pretty straight forward repair. If the mount is strong enough to support the fender while working leave it on. Start pulling the deformed section that is level with the kick up of the deck/support (photo0001) up while hammering in on the elbow that has formed on the lower lip of the fender. This will take some muscle and a fairly sustantial hammer. It will also take a little while to reduce the elbow. This should help get the basic shape back into the fender. Next remove the fender and use a hammer and dolly to finish the shaping/smoothing. I think you may run into 2 potential problems. #1 the area at the elbow will stretch, #2 the area may crack. Both are very east to repair. Once you have shaped it as much as possible, if the area is stretched you can shrink it by heating a quarter size area to red hot and then quench it with a wet rag. This may take a few attempts, so start at the center and work outwards. If the area should crack drill a 1/8 inch hole where the crack stops and then weld the crack. If you have any questions or if I can help in anyother way PM me.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got what you're saying Knucklhead but I don't do well with sheet metal. I'm going to shop for someone to bang it back for me. Nice thing is that it can be easily removed and shipped. I'm just glad to hear that it can be straightened out. Those suckers are near impossible to find.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not done a thing yet David. Need to see if there are even votech schools around here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks