• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody done a body lift?

gt1009

Ok,
So I am about to make $400 from selling a guitar, and one of the things the money will go to is a body lift for the m1009. First of all, do I need a blazer kit, or one for a 3/4 ton pickup? Also, am I going to have to order any other parts for the drivetrain or steering system, or will I have to get some custom made? If someone has done this before, I amn looking for a 3 inch body lift, anywhere around $100 is fine. I will be sure to post pics when I am done.
P.S. The guitar is still for sale :lol: Epiphone g-400 custom in antique ivory. $400

mangus580

You would need a kit for a Blazer. Honestly, i would not go with a body lift... suspension lifts are cheap enough for these, you would be much better off. Especially since your front springs are probably tired anyway...

rizzo

Re: RE: Anybody done a body lift?

mangus580 said:
You would need a kit for a Blazer. Honestly, i would not go with a body lift... suspension lifts are cheap enough for these, you would be much better off. Especially since your front springs are probably tired anyway...

x2

DMgunn

I put a 3" body lift in a Bronco once, and will never even consider doing one ever again. Talk about mickey mouse...... had to cut floor around both shifters because they hit, gap under body looked horrible, engine was harder to reach for stupid little maintenance jobs, fan shroud had to go, steering shaft was at max extension, fuel filler hose kinked, and over all, it just looked very pathetic. Obviously you only gain tire clearance, no improvement in breakover angle or suspension travel. And don't ask what happened when I came to a quick stop in a washed out road........BTW, everybody has used GM lifts laying around. They fit from '73-'87. Just ask a couple buddies or check Pirate4x4.com classifieds for a day or two. Of course, as Mangus580 pointed out, they are cheap even new.........

DMgunn

Just busted out my new Jeg's. They show a Rancho soft ride 4" for $350, and a Skyjacker for $414. I've always had good luck with Rancho. And remember, it will be much faster to install than any body lift. No bumper relocating or other lame mods either.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Definately suspension or you will regret it. Rancho's are cheap and easy to get. Go to the grocery store buy a Petersons 4WD/Off-road magazine and order the lowest price kit in it. :D

Rattlehead

Another vote here against body lifts of any kind. Have helped a couple of others do them to their trucks. Dont forget, shift linkage modification, drilling out the pin in the collapsing steering linkage. Someone already mentioned the fan shroud issues and the bumper brackets required. Then you have to consider that the body mount areas on the cab are one of the first places to rust out. Even if they are in good shape now, all of that extra leverage working on them will quickly tear them up if you do ANY off roading.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I did a Skyjacker 2" spring kit on my CUCV when I first got it. That was adequate for 33x12.50 swampers on the stock rims. When I stepped up to 35x12.50 tires, I trimmed the very inside lip off of the the back of the front fenders. No other clearance issues. When I took the diesel out and put a 500 BB Caddy motor in there I had to use a 2" body lift to clear the valve covers in the rear. Body lifts are a PITA. The only good thing about them is they give you an excuse to replace your bagged out rubber body mounts. I had to cut and lengthen the tranny and t-case linkages, remove the helper springs from the tailgate, move the fan shroud, lengthen some ground straps and other wires, etc... Ick, what a project. After the 500 blew up with my bro-in-law at the wheel, I put the 6.2 back in, but left the body lift on. I didn't want to go through the pain of removing it. I'll never do another one for any reason.

CCATLETT1984

I would put a vote against a body lift as well, you'll never be happy with one. I would reccomend the skyjacker kit, as they have slightly stiffer springs. a kit that price is going to come with new front springs and blocks for the rear, if your blazer has "saggy-butt" then it might end up without the slight forward rake like the stock trucks. you can always replace the rear blocks with new springs later on.

ultim8gamr

Re: RE: Anybody done a body lift?

Stay away from body lifts!

gt1009 said:
Ok, so can someone point me in the direction of this 4 inch rancho lift?
Here's a link to the Rancho catalog, its 2005 but im sure most numbers are the same.
http://gorancho.com/flash/docs/2005_suspension.pdf
scroll down to page 13 they've got what your looking for.
Call up your local tire shops. There's usually someone in town, or nearby, that is a Rancho Dealer or can get them. They'll have the newest catalog and can probly cross reference the old numbers.
(EDIT: and it looks like the '06 catalog is just a supplement and only has stuff for the newer trucks anyways so the numbers from '05 should be good)

or 4wheelparts.com may even have the kit you need. Im pretty sure civvy lifts work on M1009s but only having a M1008 myself i cant say for sure.
John

DMgunn

RE: Re: RE: Anybody done a body lift?

Jegs.com is nice because of the extremely fast and very reasonable shipping. They say "free", but they add modest handling charges. Ordered a set of wheels last month, and they showed up here in BFE, North Dakota, 2 days later!!

.......and yeah, if you get the basic kit, the classic GM sag will be more noticeable than before.

AJMBLAZER

RE: Re: RE: Anybody done a body lift?

Skip Rancho. Their glory days are long past. The shocks are stiff and over priced and their leaf springs are no longer the quality pieces of ten years ago. They went from some of the softest/flexiest to some of the stiffest out there.

Read up about this over on www.ColoradoK5.com as there's many subtle nuances to consider.

I buy most of my suspension parts from www.OffRoadDesign.com as they've invented most of the innovative stuff for these trucks in the last 10 years. They also sell Tough Country suspension lifts which have the best riding and flexing springs available for these trucks.

Oh yeah, if the rear is sagging you can put OffRoad Design's 1" zero rates in the rear to fix the sag. That was their original purpose. Also consider finding some mid 80's to 91 K5 Blazer or K10 Suburban rear springs as they had a new style pack with another leaf in it that resisted sagging better yet seems to flex better thanks to less arch.

Don't forget spring bushings, shackles, possibly the hangars, your brake hoses, diff breathers, shocks, driveshafts, etc.

ultim8gamr

Re: RE: Re: RE: Anybody done a body lift?

AJMBLAZER said:
Skip Rancho. Their glory days are long past. The shocks are stiff and over priced and their leaf springs are no longer the quality pieces of ten years ago. They went from some of the softest/flexiest to some of the stiffest out there.
OH NO!! i just bought 4 Rancho shocks to accompany the new lift. At least i went with the tuff country springs. and i did go through ORD for some stuff 8) I guess i can go for a little stiff. at $42 a pop it wasn't killer price wise and 4wp was having a sale so i only had to pay for 3. so we'll see how they do.
John

AJMBLAZER

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Anybody done a body lift?

That's not bad. Springs determine the ride more than the shocks but the shocks do have an effect.

The dirty little secret with the Rancho shocks is that they're the same as Monroe's truck shocks. The Rancho 5000's that people pay $40 each for are the same as the $20-25 Monroe Truck shocks available at most parts stores. I get them branded NAPA and painted blue for $22 each with a weird looking metal "shock boot" on the shaft.

For the record most of the big name's lower end model hydraulic and nitrogen shocks are the same. Look through a 4x4 mag and notice how ProComp, Rancho, Superlift, Skyjacker, Tuff Country, etc all have the same features on
their shocks. "Hydraulic/nitrogen charging, 10 positions, twin tubes, etc". Rancho did get rid of their nitrogen charged twin tubes though in favor of the RS9000 adjustable shock...and raised the prices on the RS5000's.

For the money the best deal out there short of a Bilstein shock is a Rough Country/Heckethorn Nitro 9000. They're available for most common lift applications and are nitrogen charged MONOTUBES...and at the same price or less than the other makers' twin tube hydraulic shocks.

ultim8gamr

UGH! i should've gone with monroes. i heard KYB was a bit pricy so thought id save with Rancho... bummer. well live and learn.

So any update on the lift situation gt1009?

John

AJMBLAZER

KYB's are good stuff. However for the money you can usually get Bilsteins so I'd go for those.