• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone ID this 6x6?

jasonjc

It's hard to say from that pic the lack of fuel tank makes it hard to tell the lomg bed goes 4-5 fett past the rear wheels thought. They may have cut the frame off. you might call them and ask them.?.? what it is or was. LOOK"S great thought.

NEIOWA

Re: RE: Anyone ID this 6x6?

jasonjc said:
It's hard to say from that pic the lack of fuel tank makes it hard to tell the lomg bed goes 4-5 fett past the rear wheels thought. They may have cut the frame off. you might call them and ask them.?.? what it is or was. LOOK"S great thought.
They don't know what they had (or at least the current chief doesn't know). Just an old military 6x6. That's pretty typical.

I'm helping them work the FEPP system for a "new" wildland truck. They sold the 6x6 (darn nice looking piece to me) to Daytona Beach FL. What Daytona Beach needs with a NE brushbasher I have no idea. They sold as the truck for a variety of reasons was "too hard to drive" (manual trans and no PS), too high/wide for the woods in NY, too slow/not maneuverable.

Easy obtain out of the NG a nice low mile M35 (w/turbo of course) add PS kit, bobtail it. My 1st suggestion anyhow. But does not get around the too high/wide or no autotrans issue.

They also want crewcab which from DOD surplus means a civilian K3500/F350 longbed which aint gonna work very well in the woods.

What they want (and perhaps need) is a Hvy HMMWV. But that aint a gonna happen.

rmgill

RE: Re: RE: Anyone ID this 6x6?

What they want is a big oshkosh Firetruck, but that's not cheap at all.

Hmm, I wonder if there's money in making crew-cab deuces for fire departments?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a boyce equipment frame streched special. They custom build these for FD's. I'd hate to turn it around in the woods! The front hubs look like the where swiped from a M211.

NEIOWA

Re: RE: Re: RE: Anyone ID this 6x6?

rmgill said:
What they want is a big oshkosh Firetruck, but that's not cheap at all.

Hmm, I wonder if there's money in making crew-cab deuces for fire departments?
I thought of that myself. Problem is FD work the FEPP system for vehicles because they have little $.

Take an M35 and make a bobtail. Not very expensive. Maybe $1000??? Maybe less.
Make a crewcab cost ???? Quite a bit to hire it done. call it $5K???
Transplant an MT643 Allison (or similar). Expensive. Maybe $3500 for a used trans.

Add the normal - radios, lights, red paint, water tank etc etc etc Pretty soon you have a bunch of money in a "old truck" (but with low miles).

However the alternatives for a medium duty AWD crewcab are what? Pretty dang limited. Perhaps a cast off from a utility co.

Towman2277

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Anyone ID this 6x6?

It's definitely a M36, but Boyce Equipment builds them custom like this also....I like the tubing for protection! Steve

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Its been a while since I studied one of my M36A2s, and my memory is not as good as it once was, but it looks like the cab-tandem distance is longer than that of the M36. I suspect that this may be a M35A2 with the rear tandems slid back. The truck bed is obviously based on a cargo bed in any event. Given the extensive changes made in other areas of the truck, I think this truck was "built" by a professional like Boyce or Memphis Equipment. To such a firm, a M36 is much more valuable than a M35A2, and moving the tandems is not a big deal to them. I'm soon to have a tandem change done to one of my trucks, and have been investigating this for some time.

Best regards,
David Doyle

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll add my 2 cents here as I've noticed something totally unique here. The truck was probably a long wheel base chassis/cab with a water purification body on it. From that the rear frame was probably bobbed for the conversion. Could also have been the shorter purification truck with a stretched frame. What would lead me to believe that it was a water purification truck? Check out the front drive flanges! There are only installed as part of a water purification truck and classified as a lifting kit.

Attachments

jatonka

I have one of the truck lifting kits that include those front hub lifting eye assemblies, it comes in a large metal box that can be lashed to the front bumper of the truck when driving to the port of embarkation. Funny you noticed them Kenny.... Pretty sharp!!!! John T

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks