• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone in Michigan tell me about your experience at SOS

ida34

I spoke to one of the people at Secretary of State's headquarters in Lansing and she told me an sf97 issued to me will do to get the deuce registered but it seems like most of the time the SF is in GL's name. Anyone have any comments on their experience in Michigan?

Thanks
Chuck

FSBruva

SF97 is a title for the government (instead of a Michigan title... a US title)... and as long as you have the paperwork documenting the change in ownership, it should be no problem. The truck I just bought just got through it's titling process in MN, but it's the same thing. Just give the paperwork a little bit of time to work itself out.

Matt

ida34

The only thing that will haunt me until it is all done is the fact that the lady made it a point to say that the SF97 needed to be made out to me. In fact, I think she said it twice. I would love to live in world where should be no problem ruled but in all my dealings with the government I have found that if it does not exactly fit the guidelines in the manual they clerks seem to vapor lock. The lady I talked to gave me the chapter and page for the manual if the clerk vapor locked but if they look in the book I think they will spend 30 minutes looking it over to reject me for not having an sf97 in my name. When all is said and done I will post my results. I hope you are right Matt.

Thanks
Chuck

odjeeper

Nothing to worry about...

I lost count of how many vehicles I have titled in MIchigan with a form 97 and it is not a problem. A form 97 is just the federal equivalent of a state vehicle title and must be handled in the same fashion. Whenever you purchase a vehicle the title must be signed over to you in order to transfer ownership. The difference is that your state title will be considered an original title, just like a new car, but make sure it is titled as the original year of manufacture, especially if you hope to put antique plates on it. There is a process to initiate title in Michigan without a previous title, which involves a LEO to verify the VIN and can be easily done if your vehicle only has a form 97 since the state has no record of them.

40grit

I got a M105 trailer from GL, the 97 and an official letter from GL "transferring" ownership to me was all it took in CA, same as buying a car from a used car dealership that doesn't bother to go to the DMV & officially transfer the title to themselves...

ida34

The problem I was looking at is not a problem with getting the vehicle titled with an sf97. The problem comes in if the sf97 is not issued to me in my name. I was under the impression that the 97s are issued to GL then they do a dealer reasignment. The no title route is not one that can be accomplished very fast. I am a LEO so can sign off on the form myself. Part of the problem this route is it cannot be easily accomplished in a few hours. ODJEEPER were your 97s issued before the goverment liquidation days or have you titled one with the GL provided 97s? I may be over cautious but being an LEO I have to have it legal to drive it home.

milspec1

I have titled a cucv in michigan, and the only problem i had was that the year in the computer didnt match the year on the paper. I had to have a cop sign off that the truck was indeed an '83 and not an '84, then it was ok.

ida34

This is what I am worried about. It is good news that milspec1 did not have a problem with the paperwork itself only what was on the paper. The computer spits out the year for newer 17 digit vin numbers. The computer will not know anything about the older deuce VIN so I don't think it will matter what year paper says as long as it is close. Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will post my results when I get it plated. If anyone needs a VIN inspection or similar paperwork done for SOS PM me and I might be able to help you if you are in the area of Ann Arbor.

odjeeper

Another Trick I've Employed In Michigan...

Each SOS office is sort of a law unto itself and the manager has a certain amount of descretion in these matters. Since there is no illegal activity here, you could talk with different offices until you find one with a sympathetic staff and use them. I have not tried to title anything with a GL form 97, sounds like they are creating problems with this system and unnecessarily making hardships for their customers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks