• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone put an "infotainment" in a HMMWV?

badger_610889

Hi folks,
I'm still really new to humvee world as an owner however I've been thinking about this project for a while: placing a large industrial touch monitor (HMI) above the dog house and connect it to the vitals of the vehicle through an industrial controller (because they already run everything in 24V) and add a couple applications (could be web based for ease of development) on the HMI to integrate surrounding cameras, navigation, etc. in addition to possibly manage coolingand so on though the controller.
Similar to the infotainment in a Tesla.

I own a business that does this in factories and I've been contemplating the idea of doing that for defense, safety and law enforcement vehicles for a while.

I intend to use my M1123 as the lab mule - since it's bare bone and like new.
I have designed an IP68 controller that has a solid CPU, enough digital and analog IOs and also sourced a 20" HMI for a total hardware cost below $2000.

Have some of you guys done anything like this or have requirements and comments about the project? I'm aware of the IP and MIL ratings and specs a final commercial product would need to match however that won't be the point for a first project.

Thanks!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi folks,
I'm still really new to humvee world as an owner however I've been thinking about this project for a while: placing a large industrial touch monitor (HMI) above the dog house and connect it to the vitals of the vehicle through an industrial controller (because they already run everything in 24V) and add a couple applications (could be web based for ease of development) on the HMI to integrate surrounding cameras, navigation, etc. in addition to possibly manage coolingand so on though the controller.
Similar to the infotainment in a Tesla.

I own a business that does this in factories and I've been contemplating the idea of doing that for defense, safety and law enforcement vehicles for a while.

I intend to use my M1123 as the lab mule - since it's bare bone and like new.
I have designed an IP68 controller that has a solid CPU, enough digital and analog IOs and also sourced a 20" HMI for a total hardware cost below $2000.

Have some of you guys done anything like this or have requirements and comments about the project? I'm aware of the IP and MIL ratings and specs a final commercial product would need to match however that won't be the point for a first project.

Thanks!
Well, well, well... What a good deal. Now you have a reason for the HMMWV to be a business expense now! Seems like there are a lot of folks who might be willing to spend money to have that feature.

Before you spend a lot of effort, two things to remember:

There are a lot of folks who will cheap out and buy the chinese version of whatever you make and whine about your cost. (I would ignore them).
These vehicles don't really have door locks, especially with a rag top truck. Security will be important.

On my M1088, I have an overhead console and a small screen for my camera system. Truck is never locked, but it is taller than a HMMWV. So far, nobody has messed with the radio/camera system in that vehicle (even though the batteries were stolen out of it once). Might be that out of sight, out of mind. Or it might just be that a tiny screen isn't as attractive as what you have planned.

badger_610889

Thanks.
one requirement that became really clear is that since it will be a hobby system, most users will want to be able to manage it, hack into it, add applications etc.
so it should run Windows 11 - as much as I prefer Linux by far for embedded apps, but very few people know how to use it, and we'd certainly want to use the Maps app to use the system for navigation.

The controller is capable of running both Windows and Linux because under the hood it's a PC.

badger_610889

Quick update on this project.
I have finalized the sourcing of the controller that offers a few analog and digital outputs and inputs. I wanted a tough compact system, not a PLC that's bulky and super expensive.
we happen to build an IP68 controller powered by an Intel processor and capable of running Windows 11 with and HDMI output. So it's dust and water proof - capable of running under 3 feet of water, matching requirements from serious fording users :D
Though if I was serious about it I doubt the display would ever be waterproof and the connectors themselves wouldn't play nicely in water.

My challenge is now to find a set of good affordable cameras (the ones we use for our customers cost more than $1000 each) and an external GPS that works with Windows with a generic driver so we can enjoy the built in Maps application for navigation.

Any advice on the GPS would be welcome!

BLK HMMWV

I'd love it if you could build it into the BFT screen and hard drive.
Then it would look like it belongs in the vehicle for those that try to keep everything looking OEM.
As to the GPS How about the Dagger or Slugger or Plugger or whatever the original military systems already exist out there.
just a thought.
BH

badger_610889

I'd love it if you could build it into the BFT screen and hard drive.
Then it would look like it belongs in the vehicle for those that try to keep everything looking OEM.
As to the GPS How about the Dagger or Slugger or Plugger or whatever the original military systems already exist out there.
just a thought.
BH
I now receive and can process GPS coordinates. It's over USB so the installer will be free to install it anywhere. I have recycled the GPS antenna that was on my Badger - great thing is that it's literally an enclosure that opens from the top in which I could fit the new receiver.
On the software side I haven't managed yet to expose the GPS to Windows as a native driver to use it in Maps or similar apps for navigation (boy Windows does suck quite a bit)
There are hacky drivers out there that supposedly do that but they seem unreliable and I don't want a Humvee owner to have to go into settings and reset crap each time they want to use the navigation.

I'm not familiar with the Slugger but the coordinates will be available in the UI like in the Dagger style systems. But keep in mind that the idea is to stick a 15" to 21" industrial display right in front of, and partially above the dog house. So real screen to display whatever we want.
The enclosure will be rugged, low luster green or sand. The goal is to make it look like it's a next gen military system with some old fashion design so it fits our truck nicely.

I may have sourced a good camera that costs les than $50. I need to find out what the protocol is an interface it with my controller.

This project is super exciting. It will be badass!

badger_610889

When I think about it, it will look more like a blue force tracking system, in summary. Much simpler but similar. Thanks for bringing this up!

It won't reuse anything of the BFT but I'm thinking of enabling a few buttons on the frame around the display that can be used by the controller itself for software use, or at the installer's choice to add buttons for other purposes of their choice - to force fan, aux light, etc...

BLK HMMWV

When I think about it, it will look more like a blue force tracking system, in summary. Much simpler but similar. Thanks for bringing this up!

It won't reuse anything of the BFT but I'm thinking of enabling a few buttons on the frame around the display that can be used by the controller itself for software use, or at the installer's choice to add buttons for other purposes of their choice - to force fan, aux light, etc...
I hope you get the system figured out.
You would probably have a few people interested in them should you decide to offer a finished product.
Especially if it can be made to fit in a BFT screen frame and control Box.
I can send you some pictures and measurements!!
BH

badger_610889

My engineering perspective has been to not use existing systems as constraints, so I will purposely not look at the BFT system as cool as it is ;-)

I think the best is to use a pair of HDMI and USB ports on the main controller to let installers decide what touch display they want and focus more on the controller and software.
I have sourced a 21" industrial touch monitor in limited supplies which could be a good option for humvees and similar trucks.
So far I have the GPS and a few inputs and outputs operating as expected. The controller could handle AC, engine cooling and turbo management if that's something owners are into.
I have coupled some thermistance and pressure as well as a wide band thermocouple (for EGT) sensors that I have successfully calibrated with my own controller.
The GPS driver is still the things that's blocking me and I'm waiting for a camera to look into the protocole and hopefully figure it out...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks