• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone use these guys for a starter

M1008driver

Yes, I did a search...I ordered a new starter from them looking for the best quality I could find. Other than that I know nothing about them, but what I read.

Power Strike Starters and Alternators, Industrial, Agricultural, Automotive (The link is not to an auction, but for a reference to what I am asking. I apologize if I am breaking the rules.)

What makes a Power Strike part better than a standard aftermarket part?
There are a few factories overseas that built aftermarket starters and alternators. For the most part, these factories approximate OEM units with the cheapest components available -- the cheapest metals, the cheapest bolts, the cheapest castings. This produces a part that works as a passable substitution, but will not last as long or function quite up to par with its OEM counterpart. The working life of such parts can often be much less than that of an OE part. There are many suppliers of aftermarket electrical units. They order these generic aftermarket replacements from overseas, sell to vendors at a markup, who then sell to customers at yet another markup. The end result is a pool of the same cheap knock-offs being sold by a hunded different vendors.

Crank-n-Charge orders direct from factories that specialize in a particular type of unit. We have a manufacturer for industrial parts, a manufacturer for ATV parts, another for automobile parts, and so on. Then, rather than simply order the same old thing everyone else gets, we prefer to order "off menu." We insist on different materials. Sturdier bolts. Better drives. We still do what we can to keep the cost down, but only when we don't feel quality is greatly neglected as a result. By doing this, we can order a part that is constructed better -- a close approximation of an OEM part rather than a cheap knock-off. Not an imitation, but a true aftermarket replacement. Yes, this sometimes means a higher price, as our cost is a little higher. But it also means better quality, and peace of mind for our customers.

M1008driver

It's about double the price of the import starters, $199.95 with free shipping on EBAY. They give a 2 year warranty. Although pricey, I have read about many guys buying a new starter and needing another one too fast. I want to avoid that. Supposedly this is a new starter and not reman'd.

Power Strike units come with a two year warranty. Compare this to the 30, 60, and 90 days warranties offered by many aftermarket suppliers. Even those that offer a one year warranty are eclipsed by the Power Strike guarantee.

rnd-motorsports

I got one from a place in Canada would have to look at invoice was a new unit but I went back to 12 volt so I went with a gear reduction and have not had a problem! I think it spins it over faster then the 24 volt stock one did! I sometimes like going with new rather then rebuilt because you never know what was used and what was replaced or did they just clean and paint!

SGT Estum

It's about double the price of the import starters, $199.95 with free shipping on EBAY. They give a 2 year warranty. Although pricey, I have read about many guys buying a new starter and needing another one too fast. I want to avoid that. Supposedly this is a new starter and not reman'd.
Is that a direct drive unit or gear reduction?

M1008driver

Offset Gear Reduction (OSGR)

My starter would act up occasionally and now the bendix won't engage the flywheel at all. It does spin and I am sure it is the starter. I cleaned all the grounds and even beat on it with someone trying to start the truck.

I will keep the old bracket and try to have to OEM starter rebuilt if not too much. If it is I will just get a spare of the new starter to have on hand.

I read this forum for hours and it has really taken up my time. I even read the TM's so I can ask an intelligent question when I don't know something.

I am even thinking the 24 volt starter system is better and maybe I will stay with the 6.2 Detroit engine instead of the Cummins I was learning about. A overdrive is allot cheaper to buy. I am not sure if I want to track down a US Gear or get the Gearvendor. Both have their merits.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks